MBP 13" w/ Intel SSD weird geekbench scores

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chad H, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    Last night I picked up a brand new MBP 13" 2.26 base model. It came with 2GB of Ram and a 160GB HDD. So, I set it up as a new computer(did not do any updates) and then ran geekbench 32 bit mode. I ran it 3 times with an average of 3160. So, today I installed my Intel X25-M 80GB SSD and 4GB RAM. After installing those re-installed OSX and set that up and also ran through all new updates from Apple. So after all said and done I fired up geekbench(again in 32bit mode) and expected a nice increase. Instead I got 3162. Any ideas as to why its doing this? I really expected to peg 3300. :rolleyes:

2. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

How did the system feel after the upgrade? I've been planning on doing the same upgrades to mine. I already did the RAM, but I decided to wait a couple weeks on the intel SSD. There is talk of intel releasing new drives. So, how big of an improvement was the drive? Was it worth it, in your opinion? I wouldn't care so much about the Geekbench score, as long as there is a noticeable real world speed improvement.

BTW-Have you updated to the 1.7 firmware?

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey, yes after installing the drive I updated OSX fully included the 1.7 firmware update. However I have not updated the firmware on the Intel SSD. Does anyone know how to tell what version is on the SSD right now vs the update that Intel has?

Yes, I can tell a huge difference! I never get any beachballs or spinning wheels. This thing boots in about 15 seconds and shuts down in 3. Apps don't bounce they just open. The best upgrade I've ever made to a laptop. :)Next is to install the extreme series when the price drops(hoepfully) and 8GB of ram. :apple:

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I thought Geekbench mostly measured processor and memory benchmarks. Does the hard drive make much of a difference?

Also, do upgrade the firmware on the SSD. It helps a decent amount with write times (~20% in my experience).

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

No not yet. But can't I download the firmware update directly from Intel and burn the .iso on a blank dvd and boot from it and update?

6. onedamngoal macrumors member

7. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

That's awesome. Any idea's whats wrong with mine?

8. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well, I bought 64bit geekbench and ran that. So, the final score was 3527 :)

9. onedamngoal macrumors member

Not really an expert. I think I have three things going for me vis-à-vis my MBP that I have not seen on other configurations found on Geekbench:

1. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6 (Build 10A394); Which is a 64-bit OS
    2. I have 8GB Ram installed.
    3. I have the an Intel X25-E installed.

This is just a theory. I'm sure there are much smarter people on this forum who can give you a better answer.

10. onedamngoal macrumors member

Awesome, you and I are in the top two!

11. orthorim macrumors 6502

Seems to me that GeekBench tests mostly processor and memory performance. The HD / SSD shouldn't make any difference here. If it did, then the tests would indirectly depend on disk speed, which I hope is not the case.

12. orthorim macrumors 6502

That said I am happy to see that Snow Leopard is fast!!

13. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

none of the geekbench tests should be influenced whatsoever by the hard drive being used. CPU, memory, 64 v 32 bit. Those will be the primary components for the score.

14. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Is that so? I had no idea! I left mine with the factory firmware, but since the drive was manufactured in Jan of 2010, I don't think its the most recent version. Any ideas on how to do to the firmware upgrade if you have data already stored on the hard drive?

15. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

I just installed an OCZ 250 yesterday and ran XBench... it was an amazing shift. Here is the change:

BEFORE AFTER
    Overall: 18.81 222.38
    Sequential: 34.33 191.43
    Randum: 12.95 265.25

The machine is a MONSTER, it was great before, but now... I can't imagine ever going back to a "lazy drive"

So if you are considering an SSD, do it, do it now, and never look back.