MBP 13' wait or buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eokino, Apr 26, 2015.

1. eokino macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if there is any chance Apple might update the 13inch MBP in September or October, because I want to buy it now but if there is going to be an update again this year I'm assuming it will have the new keyboard. I want to know what are the chances it will be updated with the new keyboard? And will it be worth waiting for?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Define worth.

What do you use a computer for?

3. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

There does seem to be a percentage of people who don't care what the Macbook does but more if they'll have the latest shape.....

If you need a Macbook Pro, buy now, if you can wait, as with all technology always wait until you absolutely need to upgrade as that should yield you maximum value.

4. ct1211 macrumors 6502

My opinion based purely on a career in marketing is Apple has done enough for 2015 (factor in an iPad "Pro" and various refreshes in October. Also, they will monitor where the Watch goes after the initial go to have rush. If they can sustain the insane profit margins of the SS and Gold versions, establishing this Gucchi like fashion status, we may not be able to afford the next gen Laptops!

Regardless, this wait question is silly. If you WAIT for the next, you'll never own the next. There is ALWAYS a next. If you NEED a computer now, buy now.

Laptop computer growth in power and battery life is in a plateau right now. The next few years will be every manufacturer scrambling to make a lighter, slightly faster, slightly better battery computer in the mold of the rMB (Both Apple and PC camps) Apple may go 14" 16" over 13" 15" because the bodies can now be smaller lighter. I see a downside to some trends. Where once you "owned" your software, storage etc , now we will "rent" almost everything from the cloud.

5. eokino thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry of not clarifying the question. The only reason I want to wait, is because of the new macbook keyboard. It wasn't on the MBP and although the force touch was on it, I don't want to buy it now and have the new keyboard on the next model. If there is a high chance that the next MBP will be released sometime in September or October, AND with the new keyboard I want to wait for it. But if not, then I will just buy it now.
    So, my question is what are the chances it will have the new keyboard and will be released sometime in September or October this year?

6. newellj macrumors 603

No one can say. The new keyboard was created to save space in the rMB. Whether Apple will decide to use it on the rMBP where that space isn't needed (?) is unclear. Personally, I used it for two weeks and concluded that it really didn't agree with me.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I think

Low and low. I don't see a redesign or new keyboard until skylake, I don't see skylake in macs until Q1 2016...

Of course I may well be wrong but that is my gut feeling on this question.

8. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Have you typed on a rMB yet? I tried it at the Apple Store and right then and there I decided that I wanted the rMBP for its standard keyboard.

9. newellj macrumors 603

I lived with it for 13 days and really expected that it would get better. I think for most people it will, but it didn't for me. :(

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The key travel on the 12" MB is extremely shallow - as in, there's really no travel at all and there's practically no tactile feedback. If you're a touch typist, it's downright awful and it would require weeks to adapt to. I played with one at a store the other day and I definitely wouldn't want that same keyboard on a larger laptop.

Perhaps a newly designed keyboard for the 13"/15" rMBP models using the butterfly switches and the discrete key LEDs (while maintaining the existing key depth) is a possibility down the road, but Apple would be totally shooting themselves in the foot putting the 12-incher's keyboard in a Pro model. And that would be my best guess as to why they stuck with the same keyboard, but upgraded the trackpad on the 2015 13" rMBP.

11. eokino thread starter macrumors newbie

well I just found out last night, if apple uses skylake for their next processor, it would improve battery life, and that would be big for me. I know that it has about 10 hours or so battery life but the more, the better. I also found out that there is a small chance that there might be a redesign so if that is going to happen I would rather get that one than the current one

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Right, but you're also operating under the assumption that the 13" model will be refreshed any time soon (nobody but Apple really knows the answer to that). I doubt Apple will have any reason to do so until next year - the current model is less than 2 months old.

I suppose if you don't mind waiting, that's fine. I picked up my 2015 rMBP because well, I needed a new laptop to replace my beaten up old 2011 model - and I couldn't afford to wait.

Battery life for me has been pretty stellar on this one. I get 9-10 hours on Safari web surf, which is about in line with what Apple rates it for. For a notebook with a high-res display and class-leading CPU, that's pretty impressive already, at least to me. :)

13. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

yes wait for the next macbook pro if you want design modifications.

14. eokino thread starter macrumors newbie

The only reason I'm saying that it will be updated is because this year it was released "early" and usually when that happens there is a "late" cycle, but you are right, only Apple knows. But I'm still debating on if I should buy now or wait for a possible update in October.