MBP 13" with Polarized sunglasses

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mayakukla, Oct 11, 2010.

1. mayakukla macrumors regular

I am getting a pair of nice maui jim polarized glasses. I want to use the mbp in direct sunlight to read a pdf book. How will the screen look?

I have the new 13" mbp purchased in october of '09

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Depends on the polarization of your lenses, and how you hold the MacBook.

It will range from "you won't notice a difference" to "hey, where'd my screen go?"

3. mayakukla thread starter macrumors regular

have you personally tried it or are you speculating? I am looking for first hand experiences, will I be able to sit there and read a book on the beach

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't matter. It's basic science.

It depends on the orientation of your sunglasses with respect to the Macbook. We cannot answer your question for certain because of the variables involved not under our control. As with the iPhone 4, if you can't see the screen with your sunglasses on, "Hold it differently."

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well if you happen to have the bad luck of the draw and are experiencing near-extinction - you could always purchase some circular polarizing film and apply it to your shades, or LCD.... :D

6. nwbusa macrumors regular

Not sure I'd want to take my MBP to the beach... you know, sand and all...

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Polarised sunglasses will make the screen slightly dimmer. LCD screens are polarized at about a 45 degree angle, so with the glasses held parallel, or vertical, to the screen, the screen will appear at about 50% brightness. Depending on the polarization angle of the screen, holding the glasses near a 45 deg angle to the right will either show the full brightness, or blank it completely. Rotating the glasses to 45 deg left will give the opposite effect.

Unfortunately, polarized sunglasses will have no effect on reflections, and at 50% screen dimming, will make viewing worse.

As a matter of interest, the IPS screen on my 46" Sony HDTV is polarized horizontally, so polarized glasses have no effect when horizontal, and blank the screen when vertical.

8. kuctonkucton201 macrumors member

Are u sure for that?

9. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

10. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Because I'm bored haha..Screen brightness is 100%

Horizontal - About 50% brightness
    [​IMG]

45* Angle - About 10% brightness (although picture looks black)
    [​IMG]

Vertical - About 50% brightness
    [​IMG]

Glasses - Oakley Gascan polarized
    Camera - Canon T2i with 28-135mm lens

11. drambuie, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014

drambuie macrumors 6502a

Thank you for taking the time to provide visual verification of my post. Various TN screens exhibit similar polarization characteristics. IPS screens seem to act differently.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

LCD's are polarized also, so depending on which angle you will be reading your book at, it will go from between no difference at all to normal sunglasses to your screen appearing completely black.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 that is exactly what will happen. It depends on the angle of the sun in relation to you as well as the polarization of your glasses. Fully polarized, and you wont see the screen. You may see rainbows too when its not polarized.

All LCD/LED screens do this..

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If you're bored, using the polarized glasses with a backlit LCD - you can see stress / birefringence in plastic lenses. Take a pair of reading glasses, or a plastic bottle and hold it between your polarized glasses and the LCD itself.

As an FYI - there still isn't really any standard to how LCDs are polarized (though they're closer these days then in years past) - but there is a "standard" to how sunglasses are polarized. (otherwise they would not filter out reflected glare effectively) so if your monitor IS black with the glasses on - odds are good other glasses will do the same thing.

As we move further and further into the 3D age, you will see more TVs / monitors with a fixed polarization.... Probably....

Attached Files:

15. mac8867 macrumors 6502

wow.... this is one of the strangest threads I have read in a long time. OK, from "personal experience" using a mid-2009 13" MBP with Maui Jim polarized all the time on the weekends, I have never had an issue, been frustrated, had to move the screen... whatever. So, I'm just sayin'...