MBP 13" with SSD - which one is inside?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mayuka, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Hi.

I think about buying a new MBP 13". I'm considering choosing a SSD over an "old-fashioned" HD despite the high additional costs. Does anybody know which SSDs Apple are using? (Before you ask: No I don't want to replace it myself. I'd rather spend more money rather than opening the laptop.) I'm curious. Is it Toshiba or Samsung or a different manufacturer?

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

It's cheaper to replace the storage yourself, and it's very easy to do it.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Apple is using Samsung drives in most, if not all, of the 2012 machines. Replacing the HDD is easier and cheaper than you may think. There are videos to guide you through the process. If I can do it you probably can too. Don't sell yourself short.

4. Jkinch macrumors newbie

I would definitely consider swapping the HDD on your own. It is really simple and only takes about 10 minutes to physically do. You do then have to install the OS on the drive which will take a few hours.

Macsales.com is a great place to grab an awesome SSD, or OCZ is a good option as well.

That being said the SSD upgrade cost is a little high from Apple, but is a simpler out of the box solution. They are all Samsung SSD's at this point.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Samsung 830 controllers in the Airs. Samsung SSDs for the most part, some Toshiba SSD's in the Airs also.

Since I'm not asking, I'll suggest as others have. If you are capable of unscrewing 10 screws for the bottom case, 2 more screws to remove the drive, and a final 4 torx screws from the drive itself, unplugging a cable and doing the reverse, then you are more than capable of saving a few bucks not only by purchasing the Samsung 830 SSD (it's been on sale lately - got my 128GB BNIB for $89 shipped) and without additional labor costs. Use it toward something else =)

6. mayuka thread starter macrumors 6502a

mayuka

In the new MBAs Apple is using custom SSDs that won't fit into the "classic" MBP 13". SSDs for the MBP 13" must have the same format as a normal SATA harddrive. Am I right?

There are several reasons not to upgrade the SSD by yourself:
    - Opening the MBP terminates your warranty, even Apple Care.
    - When I understand ifixit correctly you need pentalobe screws to open the MBP yourself. There's no way getting them in Germany without a credit card.
    - The trouble is going on. As far as I know the operating system must support the SSD and must send specific commands such as TRIM to the drive. If the OS does not the drive will be considerably slower and (worse of all) the drive will age faster. Mac OS X does not support different SSDs.

Nobody tried get the MBP with a stock Apple SSD? :confused:

7. jcpb macrumors 6502a

First bullet point is wrong - replacing the internal HDD/SSD in the MBP does not void AppleCare.
    Second bullet point can be fixed with pentalobe screwdrivers from ifixit.
    Third bullet point is moot as you can enable TRIM with either Terminal commands or TRIM Enabler.

Seriously, OP, do the SSD upgrade yourself, your wallet will thank you for the trouble.

8. mayuka thread starter macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Apple Support says otherwise.

As I said before there's no way getting them where I live.

Even so there are other commands the OS must send.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Seems as if you've got your mind made up. If you're going to pay Apple to do the work they should be able to address all your questions satisfactorily. Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy that new MBP.

10. JrJ 15 macrumors member

Macbook Pro models with user serviceable parts ( not the retina ) have phillips screws holding the plate on the bottom. The only Macbooks with pentalobe screws are the Macbook Air and the Retina Macbook Pro.