MBP 13" won't recognize SSD in OptiBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zcs, Sep 15, 2010.

1. zcs macrumors newbie

I'm using a Corsair 120 GB Force SSD, a MCE OptiBay Kit, and a Hitachi 500 GB 7200 rpm drive. Everything works great when the SSD is in the hard drive bay, and the Hitachi is in the OptiBay. I'd prefer to swap the arrangement so the Hitachi can be protected by the sudden motion sensor, but when the SSD is in the OptiBay OS X won't recognize it. I've tried booting from the install disc to use Disk Utility, but it only shows the Hitachi drive as if the SSD isn't in the machine. I've throughly checked the installation; it appears correct, and as I said everything works fine with the drives swapped. I've also tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC, per the instructions in Apple's KB.

Any ideas as to how to fix it?

2. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

What is a MCE OptiBay Kit? Or shall I do a Google search? :confused:

3. bamf macrumors 6502

Can you give us a little more information? What model 13" MBP do you have? What is the model of the 500GB drive?

I know this sounds stupid too, but are you sure that the SATA cable is connected back from the Optibay to the motherboard?

I'm using an Optibay exactly how you want to be setup (on my 15"), so I'm familiar with what you are trying to do.

4. zcs thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure. The 500 GB drive is a HITACHI Travelstar H2IK5001672SP. The SSD is a Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2. The MBP is a Mid-2009 2.53 Ghz with 8 GB RAM.

On the installation disc, System Profiler reports a SATA search error when I try to view the SATA bus.

5. bamf macrumors 6502

I was looking to see if that Hitachi drive has it's own drive parking mechanism for drops etc. Does your documentation have anything on that (I couldn't find a ton of information on that drive online)? If so, then just flip them and save yourself the aggravation.

6. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a