MBP 13" - worth upgrading from 2011 model for current model or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satchm0, Aug 18, 2013.

  1. satchm0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2013
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm currently using a mid 2011 2.3Ghz Core i5 MBP 13". My wife is in need of a new laptop for basic email and social media, so I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to upgrade to the current MBP 13" and giving her this one. I need a balance of portability with decent processing for moderate web graphics and audio editing on the go, with lots of local storage for road work and archive access (thus, the Air doesn't feel like it fits the bill). Some questions if someone would be so kind...

    Is the current dual core 13" a significant enough performance bump to justify buying a new model now? I assume I have a single core i5 in my current machine (?), whereas the new model is dual core.

    Should I wait for the rumored refresh? I need to buy a new model fairly soon, so I would be willing to buy now if it's going to give me a worthwhile performance bump... OR... should I wait, if the upcoming model is going to be a stellar performance bump that will make me regret buying now.

    Any tips or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
     
  2. alex0002 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2013
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #2
  3. Apple Forex macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2013
    #3
    The general saying here is:

    1.) Buy the current one if you NEED it now.

    or

    2.) Get your money's worth and wait for the refresh.

    Some users urgently need their computers for important things such as work related tasks or projects.

    However, if there is no rush, just wait the 1-2 months. Being stuck a year behind on a product can be regretful, but not towards those that use it for the necessary things.

    That ol' saying. There are differences between needs and wants. :)
     

Share This Page