MBP 13in, HD Clicking, SMS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregrose, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Hey guys, new to mac, awesome laptop! Anyways, anytime i move or jerk the laptop i hear a click coming from my HD, after reading everyone says its the sudden motion sensor.

Today I brought my laptop to my computer guy & good friend who is a genius with computers & he didnt like the sound of it & said that the HD could eventually fail cause it sounds like its skipping & that I should get it replaced asap...

Just wondering is this standard in every MBP? It only happens when moving the laptop around, otherwise its perfect. Im probably gonna take it in to apple also & see what they say..

Thanks a ton!

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Definitely the sudden motion sensor parking the drive head.
    Yes, every macbook does it, including my own.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Totally normal, it's the SMS preventing damage to your HDD when it detects motion. Taking it to the apple store would be a waste of time.
    Tell your friend to read up on the subject.

4. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks guys, though when I called Apple about it, the guy told me to go into the store & have it looked it. I did email my friend & told him to read up on the SMS, hes mostly PC he never really works with Apple, I just wanted to make sure everything is ok. So I have absolutely nothing to worry about then? Ill kill someone if this HD suddenly dies on me.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

6. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502