Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
you seem to have also missed the part where i said the liquid sensors weren't tripped. doesn't it seem odd to you that the logic board could be damaged by liquid that wasnt even enough to trip the sensors?

Touche. calling me on my lack of close reading. it's certainly possible that you managed to damage things without hitting the sensors (they aren't everywhere, after all).

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I know where they are, yes they are spread out. Still weird. Basically if i had never told them I spilled anything on it they never would have known? So the liquid sensors don't cover Apple's asses in some cases?

Any way you could post a picture of the two terminals? The one in the video is slightly different than mine and i've looked everywhere.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I know where they are, yes they are spread out. Still weird. Basically if i had never told them I spilled anything on it they never would have known? So the liquid sensors don't cover Apple's asses in some cases?

Essentially correct, although Apple may have seen evidence of liquid if they opened it up--as you note, the sensors aren't everywhere.

From my reading of the thread, it sounds as if the logic board has failed. And with having done the "rice in a bag" thing, I don't think there's much you can if "jump-starting" it doesn't work. Your best bet might be one of the aftermarket logic board repair places, as suggested by others.

Good luck.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I suggest diet coke and just rinse it with some alcohol I've done it on phones and its worked like a charm for me. Though you might want to consider this a last resort since a mbp is not a phone :p

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
I suggest diet coke and just rinse it with some alcohol I've done it on phones and its worked like a charm for me. Though you might want to consider this a last resort since a mbp is not a phone :p

huh? is this sarcasm or are you for real? can you post a link to a reputable website saying to do this? seems like a gawdawful idea to me.

fluffyroo

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Columbia, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Here's how you can test that. Open te backplate and unplug the keyboard ribbon cable from the logic board. Next to that cable there should be two shorting pads with a power symbol next to them. If you don't see that symbol, use the ground post of one of the screws and the fifth pin from the left on the ribbon connector on the logic board. The pin you need to touch is usually labeled with a small hole or circle under it. I know it may sound confusing, but I'm not able to post a pic right now. This will pretty much tell you if it's the power button or the logic board as the keyboard and power button run through that same ribbon cable. Hope this helps!

fluffyroo

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Columbia, MO
Here ya go, straight from the source. Shh, don't tell anyone. :)

Attachments

• shorting pads.jpg
    shorting pads.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 156

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
well i took it back and they want to charge me $755 just to diagnos the issue so I'm gonna go the DIY route.

I've seen a few threads about "jump starting" the laptop using the keyboard connector on the logic board.

can anyone shed some light on this or another way? Although I dont know exactly what is wrong with it I'm starting with that. The liquid sensors weren't tripped, and none of the beer spilled near the logic board, and the two things that it did spill near, (battery and hard drive) are completely functional.
Wrong, that is the flat rate depot price. They'll fix it no matter how many parts it'll take unless its beyond a certain number and considered beyond economical repair. If that happens, you owe $0.

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
thanks for the help guys. sorry about my attitude, I'm obviously a bit on edge about this whole thing.

My logic board still looks a bit different from the picture so I want to make sure by posting a picture of mine. i don't want to be shorting random connections.

which two?? haha

Attachments

• IMG_20110909_170422.jpg
    IMG_20110909_170422.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 68

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Just an update, I found the power pads and it WORKED!!!

So boo all you naysayers ;)

Now I know I might either need a new keyboard or new topcase. Having a bit of trouble putting the keyboard ribbon back in though haha

Last edited:

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Just an update, I found the power pads and it WORKED!!!

So boo all you naysayers ;)

Now I know I might either need a new keyboard or new topcase. Having a bit of trouble putting the keyboard ribbon back in though haha

You can change just the keyboard it seems http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-App..._Trackballs&hash=item35b32a2e70#ht_1123wt_828

to replace it you need to remove the logic board, be sure to check it just in case, it might've just shorted the keyboard but depending on how much it was it could leak and damage the logic board too

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
You can change just the keyboard it seems http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-App..._Trackballs&hash=item35b32a2e70#ht_1123wt_828

to replace it you need to remove the logic board, be sure to check it just in case, it might've just shorted the keyboard but depending on how much it was it could leak and damage the logic board too

Oh thats awesome, looks like the power button is part of the keyboard. And I'll probably be able to see the spill remnants when i replace it and clean them.

edit: is it even possible to do this in a 13" model? There are no guides on ifixit

Last edited:

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Oh thats awesome, looks like the power button is part of the keyboard. And I'll probably be able to see the spill remnants when i replace it and clean them.

edit: is it even possible to do this in a 13" model? There are no guides on ifixit

look at the part where you buy the top case on ifixit, someone said that you need to remove the logic board, then the backlight, then there's like 30 very small screws that hold the keyboard in place, the top case there is like 299$

i think this is the one as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...ultDomain_0&hash=item3cb855654a#ht_2030wt_936

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
If you are going to respond please read the entire thread.

So I'm an idiot and spilled beer on my keyboard. It was only a little and went mostly on the arrow keys. Turned it off immediately although it did stay on when the spill occured.

Put it in a bag of rice and kept it off for 2 days. Brought it to an apple store and asked for a diagnosis. He said everything looked fine, no corrosion. He didn't turn it on though.

To my dismay I come home and it will not power on. No click no beep no sounds at all. The battery is behaving normally. I tried disconnecting the battery from the logic board and using the charger but no luck. Reconnected it and tried resetting the SMC but nothing.

What else can I try :-( this would be a serious blow to my livelyhood haha

Once you remove the logic board, you're probably going to see a bunch of residue. You'd probably want to clean that up before corrosion gets to it, and components fall off). Here's the basic overview of the procedure I use when I get a liquid damaged macbook pro.

You have 2 options for a cleaning solution: Electrical contact cleaner (this is a harsh chemical, you'll need to perform the cleaning outside if you wish to use this), or you can pick up some 91%+ isopropyl alcohol from a drug store.

For your purposes, I'd take a trip to home depot, and get a couple of cans of Quick Dry contact cleaner, it's pricey, but worth it. It does the job much better than rubbing alcohol. And it's is not a liquid, but an spray that is sprayed onto the pcb for cleaning. Usually I use the cleaner held very close to the board to blast off any contaminants on the surface.

Anyway, you'll need to remove the logic board, fans, heatsink, and speaker assembly. You need to remove EVERYTHING on the board, including wiping off the thermal compound on the CPU & brushing off dust (unless you like nasty dust clumps). This is also a great time to blow out your MBP's fans, and pull clumps of dust out of the heatsinks.

Once you have the totally bare board, spray it down with contact cleaner (spray less than 1 inch from the board). On both sides, under any BGA mounted chips, in between every pin on every chip, make sure you get everything. If you're sing isopropyl alcohol, then get a toothbrush (brand new one, make sure the brush is flat), pour the alcohol on the board, and scrub it down (you won't be able to get under BGA with this).

Once your done with that, flip the board over, and repeat. Dry the board with a blow dryer on a heated setting, hover over any BGA chips (processor, GPU, RAM controllers, etc) until the solution stops bubbling out from under the chips. Once it's dry, take a close look at the board, and re-clean any areas with any remaining residue.

Wipe off any and all connector cables with a Q-TIP and your cleaning solution.

Now, if your keyboard isn't working after your repair, you'll need to A) purchase a new keyboard (remove DVD drive, and frame, then remove 100+ tiny screws, and install the replacement), or you can spend a bit more cash and get a used top case assembly. Either way, you're looking at $50-$80 depending on condition. As a last resort, you may want to try to spray a bunch of contact cleaner into the keyboard and let it dry, I've had limited success with that.

Oh, and by the way, set aside 1-2 hours to do this.

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Thanks a lot man. I guess there is sitll a chance that my keyboard could function after a good cleaning. I'll definitely clean the logic board a bit but I dont think it will have much residue. The first apple genius took it out and said there was no sort of corrosion, and the spill did not go beyond the right apple key and i tilted the computer to the right.

but thanks for the contact cleaner thing i was just gonna use the alcohol.

So far I've seen a keyboard for $55 and a top case for $190. Debating whether to save or get this fixed now.

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
coming soon, a somewhat step by step guide with pictures on replacing a macbook pro unibody keyboard. for anyone curious.

not as difficult as one may think really. the unibodies are so well designed, everything, well, makes sense.

and sure enough, my keyboard was sticky, although the backlight works and was not sticky.

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
ok no step by step guide but some results.

the keyboard replacement worked. the only issue now is that my display is just a white screen. this is probably because i accidentally broke off the display data cable bracket. It looks like the cable is in the connector pretty solid but i guess it must have to be held down?

Anyone have any thoughts? besides, "you're an idiot"? I still saved myself a ton of money and I can just use an external monitor.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
ok no step by step guide but some results.

the keyboard replacement worked. the only issue now is that my display is just a white screen. this is probably because i accidentally broke off the display data cable bracket. It looks like the cable is in the connector pretty solid but i guess it must have to be held down?

Anyone have any thoughts? besides, "you're an idiot"? I still saved myself a ton of money and I can just use an external monitor.

Does the mbp boot up to the OS?
(everything working but the screen remaining in white)
Or it doesn't finish the booting process and stuck at white screen?

Kinda confused what you meant by white screen.

carryonplease

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Does the mbp boot up to the OS?
(everything working but the screen remaining in white)
Or it doesn't finish the booting process and stuck at white screen?

Kinda confused what you meant by white screen.

Yea everything boots up, i hear the start up sound and can only assume so since I was able to start it up before and it seems the only difference now is that the screen is white haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.