MBP 13in vs iMac vs iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by monkey52892, Mar 4, 2010.

1. monkey52892 macrumors newbie

monkey52892

Hello,

I am going to be a freshmen in college next year and will be living in a dorm.
    However, I need some solid Mac buying advice. Which combination should i get?

1) MBP (Arrandale) 13" (base model) + ipod touch + external monitor
    2) MBP (Arrandale) 13" (base model) + iPad (wifi)
    3) iMac 21.5" (base model) + iPad

I would really appreciate some buying advice and a reason why you chose your option.

I do not have an iPod touch/iPhone, but I do own an iPod Nano 2nd generation.

Thanks! :)

2. silenahilena macrumors member

I'm going to be a freshman in college too...I plan to go with option 1, although I already have a Touch.

If you have an iPhone, then get option 2. Otherwise, get option 1...it seems more practical.

I plan on getting the iMac later on, and I'll use it for more intensive applications. Right now, I need the portability to take notes.

3. RudyGrow macrumors regular

The iPad is a joke, IMHO. I would go for a a 13 inch pro and a mac mini from ebay (they go as low at $500) or just the 13 inch pro and a nice monitor.

4. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

I think that ipad isn't a joke at all, just needs development by programers, and also with it light weight it will be great to study where i like large files of pdf or documents in a very confortable way.

I will call for the imac + ipad 3g version :)

5. cjhunter macrumors newbie

I also disagree with the iPad being a joke, however the point here is that you need a portable machine for class, collaborative work, and studying outside your room.

The big unknown right now is how well the iPad will work as a note taking machine. The initial reports suggest that the keyboard isn't up to fast touch-typing, but perhaps that will be improved by launch.

I'd assume you're not starting until September? If so, I'd hold off for the moment. See if the iPad ends up being a good typing machine, otherwise option 3 is not functional.

Personally I'd lean towards option 1, as it gives you the most real estate for working. I say this from experience as well: I have a 13" uMB, an iPhone, and a 27" iMac. Each has its place, but if I were restricted in budget, the iMac would be first to go. It's a great machine, but overkill for most coursework, which will primarily entail email/web/Office.

6. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I think your best bet is combination 1. You get the portability, you can pick up a very good external monitor pretty cheaply if you shop around, and the Touch will add some nice apps, like note taking and organizing apps, etc. The 13" will serve you well, and since you've got plenty of time, yes, wait for the upgrade, and buy in the summer, when the Apple Store throws in a printer and I believe, a Nano.
    Sell the Nano to help defray the cost of the Touch.
    Also, if you can pick up a college I.D. beforehand (I'm not sure how your school handles all that), you get a student discount.
    Have fun at school.