MBP 13inch and 30inch Cinema Display full resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sytrusze, Nov 17, 2010.

1. sytrusze macrumors member

Dear members,

i have read several forums and came across post's with people that have the same issue as me but unfortunately they've all fixed the problem but i can't seem to fix it. This is the problem.

I connect my MBP with my Cinema display. The max resolution i can choose is 1280x800 which is logical because that is the highest resolution the MBP support (i believe). However, it is possible to use the resolution of my Cinema Display (2560x1600) but there are a few conditions to it.

- Macbook has to be power connected
    - ONLY the cinema display can be used, so no duplicated screens allowed
    - The macbook must be in sleep mode and awaken with an external keyboard.

You should now be able to choose a resolution of 2560x1600. I have read several forums and this really did work for people! But somehow my max resolution remains 1280x800 :(

Im using a MBP 13inch late 2009 and have it connected to the screen with a mini displayport to DVI adapter.

Please help!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

For the 30" you need a dual link DVI adapter, as single link will not push 2560x1600. They are pretty expensive, and I wouldn't buy from Apple if you can avoid it.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, that actually might be the issue. Im using this one right now
    [​IMG]

I've got it from a friend so i don't know if it is from apple or not but i do think so because it's exactly the same. It is a DVI Dual Link though. You mention to avoid apple, why so? (pure curiosity)

Do you know any alternatives that do not require an USB slot, because i only have 2 on my MBP and i use them for my mouse and keyboard?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    [​IMG]

Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
    [​IMG]

You seem to have a normal MDP to DVI adapter, not a Dual Link DVI adapter.

And as you can see here, the ACD has USB ports on the back, which you can use to connect the keyboard and mouse or even a USB hub.
    [​IMG]

Here is the manual for the 30" ACD: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/CinemaDisplays_20_23_30inchUserGuide.pdf

And the comment "don't buy from Apple" was regarding the price (approx. 100 USD), while you can get it from Monoprice for 30 USD less.

6. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

Ahaa very clear thank you! Going to the apple store with my MBP today and see if i can test out their adapter on an ACD and ask them about mine. I will post an update later this day to let you guys know what they told me and if it did work :) thnx

7. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys,

bad news for me, but maybe good news for someone else who comes acros this topic. This is what they told me at the apple store today. A 13 inch macbook pro doesn't support full resolution on a 30inch ACD. A 24 inch would be the maximum resolution that the 13inch MBP can support. On the other hand, a 15 inch MBP WOULD be able to support full resolution on a 30 inch ACD.

i still don't want to believe it :( but i think i will have to deal with the harsh reality. Unless anyone with a 13inch MBP did manage to do the trick somehow and is kindly enough to share his/her trick :D (still have some hope left in me)

Anyway, thnx for the help provided!

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

According to Apple's official list of technical specifications for the 13" MBP, the 13" MBP can support external displays with a resolution of up to 2560 x 1600, thus the 30" ACD is possible. Apple Store employees are not really well known for their technical expertise or knowledge about Apple's products.

9. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

You are the third one that's telling me that, and i believe you are right :D (big smile on my face). I will give apple a call, see what they will tell me else im just going to buy a dual link adapter and give it a shot!

10. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

Okay, yesterday i went to an apple store an bought the mini displayport to DVI dual-link adapter (payd $99 for it but i didn't care about the price, just wanted it to work). I came home and everything worked perfectly.

A shame that applestore's hire such employees but however, i got it to work thanks to you guys. Thanks for all the help, appreciate it!