MBP 13inch VS Other OEM's 13inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lostinspace2012, Jan 14, 2010.

1. lostinspace2012 macrumors newbie

After doing some research on this topic for about 2 months:

1) Don't you all think that mbp 13 inch has very outdated specs for the current price. I can get the same spec and save a lot. :eek:
    I know that next month the new intel's 32nm processors will be available for MBP but sure it will only be a core i3 & hence costly.

2) I can customize any new mobile processor with graphics card other than :apple:. The real thing bugging me is the GPU in the MPB 13(9400gm).:confused:

3) Snow leopard (10.6.2) is better but does have some major problems compared to Leopard(10.5.8). This should not happen bcoz it is a better leopard :mad:

4) Windows 7 does seem to have better compatibility than b4 and little faster than vista.

5) After going through the forums i don't think that its a good idea to buy a mac bcoz of the problems causing with external HDD's and compatibility issues with snowleo.

Please Reply, Thanx :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.
    What's confusing you about it?

SL isn't "better" than Leopard, it's "different." Even Leopard had its problems when it was first released, there's no reason to expect SL won't have problems either.

I actually like Windows 7. They did a good job on it... for once.

So don't buy one then.

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

if you used forums such as this to make every decision in life you'd find yourself locked in a bomb shelter wearing a suicide vest to protect yourself from intruders.

Although it is impossible to quantify, the vast majority of people who own the 13" have no reason to post about their machines - compared to those who have issues.

This machine has been seen as a great value in the lineup, and I imagine this to continue with the next refresh.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This argument price/components has been raged for years with Macs. If you feel that a Dell, or HP offers a better deal for the computer then go for it. I don't think its very dated at all I own a 08 MBP and find the performance more then what I need (aperture, light PS, web publishing,etc)

That's the apple way, I'm not making excuses for apple, just stating the fact. You have very little options when customizing a build.

I disagree with that assessment. Plus you're comparing a fairly recent OS to one that has had numerous updates to correct the bugs. For many people SL has been problem free and I'm in that group.

For windows users its a better OS then Vista but the inherent problems of windows (malware, activation etc) are still present in windows. You want to use windows most of the time, then a MBP may not be a good use of your funds.

I've not heard any compatibility problems with SL and external drives. I have had USB, FW and Time Capsule attached to my computer and no problems with accessing using those external drives. While not discounting any sort of problems, this is the first I've seen/heard of this problem. I question how widespread it is.

Bottom line is if you cannot wait a couple of weeks till apple uses the newly released arrandale chipset and/or plan on running windows for the majority of the time. Then a Mac may not be right for you.

FWIW, not all manufacturers have released an arrandale based laptop, apple isn't the last (not that they'll be the first)

5. lostinspace2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reply:

Very less specs:

1) 160 GB, If v bootcamp then v need at least 250GB.

2) Graphics 9400m, as all know that there are very less games natively built for Mac os so after bootcamp with windows xp we can play very less new titles.

3) It is claimed that 7 hours of battery, but getting only 5:30 h.

4) Very less usb's ports , needed other card reader also.

Reply Now :(

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Exchangeable. Or get a dedicated Windows laptop. It's we not v.

2. Get a dedicated Windows laptop with a dedicated graphics chip. It's few and not less.

3. Marketing. Apple is the only to use it though, all the other computer manufacturers (is there a better word, because they are not manufactured?) always advertise the truth out of their battery life.
    And it depends on the current use.

4. There are USB hubs. Other than that, get a dedicated USB Windows laptop. See 2.

Reply NOW.

7. lostinspace2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that this forms are really helping me :cool:

but if i compare a hp laptop with specs, macs are less faster:

2.53 Ghz C2duo, 4GB ram ddr3, 500Gig hdd, 4 usb ports
    with audio in, out, Windows 7 HomeP, webcam , 1 yr warrenty, software bundled ...etc

Price 750$

Thanx

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then get that.

As you might have noticed, this is a forum for Mac OS X users (and iPhone OS users too).

We use those "expensive" and "under-performing" machines because we want (W-A-N-T) to use Mac OS X, not Windows or Linux (a small percentage does though, be it work or hobby or whatever).

As Mac OS X comes only on those machines, we buy that. There are a little bit more expensive, but you get a very good built machine and customer service.

The HP you mentioned is probably not built as fine as a MacBook.

And for nature's sake, does GHz really count, especially when you count after the . ?

Mac OS X takes good use of the resources it can get its hands on.

PS: I switched from a Samsung X10 with a Centrino 1.4GHz laptop with 80GB HDD to an iBook with 1.07 GHz and 27GiB.

I worked faster with that machine than I could with Windows.

See, it's the OS and not the machine that counts.

If you don't wanna switch because of specs of a computer, then please don't switch.

/preaching to the

9. lostinspace2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx every1 for their replies...

I finally agree that mbp is better build than Hp or other brands out there.

Looking forward to buy one mac soon but here are some other Q.

Will the new mbp

1) Have a better GPU, higher size, better processor.

2) any changes to size,weight,cosmetic...

3) price of new, will be less or more.

:apple:

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. most probably, what size?, Core i3 - yes

2. most probably not

3. probably the same

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We really don't know, but if all things being equal. I'd say is if apple is stuck with an intel GPU it may not be faster then what we have now. The CPU being arrandale based, would almost surely be much faster.

The size, weight and comestics may stay the same with a minor tweak but we really don't know

The price will invariably be the same as it is now. Apple rarely drops the price of their macs.

12. lostinspace2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, a better hardware with same price :cool: but if mbp 13 uses the intel integrated GPU then i wont be buying one.

13. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I dont get people like you. If you want a cheap pc laptop to play games on and run windows, why are you even looking at apple? If I was in your position I wouldn't have even thought seriously about a 13"MBP

14. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

any technology that didnt come out in the last month could be considered "outdated"

15. lostinspace2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was really fed-up with the Windows and wanted to look around.

I know why many people switch from PC to Mac
    including me mainly bcoz of all the problems with malware , virus... etc
    and the best thing is windows do not provide any thing other than windows
    itself for eg windows 7 got a ISO burner inbuilt the OS, *.mov playback in Windows Media player 11

I also has many issues like hogging memory, not stable , registry and dlls :eek:

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I don't know of any pc laptop that I can close the lid, put it in my bag, open it at home and have my workspace just as I left it.

I don't know of any pc laptop that ships without HP, Acer or toshiba bloatware that load at start up.

I don't know of any pc laptop that has jboss and maven built in and that is so easy to build a powerful programming environment around.

But the most important thing is that I don't know of any pc laptop that makes me feel as nice working on it as my mac for hours.

When it comes to desktops, I have and will always stick to the cheap power of PC's combined with some linux or Windows 7 as the mac pro is too expensive for me. I have a very powerful PC desktop at home but I use it less and less every day. I prefer to wait 20 seconds more to compile some java app than to put up with windows and its hassles.

17. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Hello young boy,

I have a Macbook Pro 13 and I am very satisfied.

First of all I did only pay 1150€ (instead of 1399€ in the Apple Store) for the 2,53GHz 4GB Ram 250GB HDD machine and second it has everything I need. So I wont say its overpriced compared to other plastic books.

I do not use a mouse because I fell in love with the trackpad gestures and I the very few times I play games I still have my old USB mouse for. I do not need a bigger or external keyboard because I do not use an external monitor nor do I need one!

A MBP, especially the 13" model is not primary a gaming machine but for serious mobile whole day use. My MBP is working up to 12 hours every day. I lug it around wherever I have to go and want to go to.

Because of mobility I modified my VCore and Core-speed with CoolBook so I get up to 8h battery life doing simple tasks like typing surfing and reading. My book runs at 1.3 Ghz MAX! if unplugged AND its still enough.

Working in the background all time Adium, Skype, Mail, iCal, Yahoo Widgets (Weather, 1-5 Departure-boards) and of course several Safari and Preview windows/tabs) W-lan enabled other ports disabled. I also have Click to Flash installed. Screen at 2/3 brightness. My keyboard backlight is at min if used.

18. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

2 posts in a row but necessary

How about installing some linux distribution? You do not sound like one who needs an macbook at all. Just go for Linux on your current machine and wait until you may need battery life and portability in a sleek alum housing.

19. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I believe Dell and Lenovo have options to remove office and antivirus trials. I also saw that Lenovo at one time, maybe still do, had the option to remove the free shareware games. This was on the Thinkpads. Now if they could do something about those ruthless stickers, you cannot easily remove.

Why not just wait until the specifications are released? Its unlikely Apple would use the i3 in the MacBook Pro. The i3 seems more likely to be in the MacBook, and hopefully Apple will use a discrete GPU in the MacBook Pro 13. Also I am sure you have probably noticed that many 13" Windows laptops do not come with powerhouse GPUs either.

20. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

You are right. Still the well made laptops from both dell and lenovo (Precision M and Thinkpads) with the same hardware have similar prices to apple's offerings.

21. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I personally feel the unibody is superior to the build quality of the Thinkpads, Sony Z series, and Dell Latitudes, never seen a Precision. While the Macbook Pro is slightly heavier and may not be able to take a fall quite as well, the MacBook Pro feels solid and robust without the squeaks and bulk of plastics and composites. Other than a necessity for OSX, the aluminum unibody is a good reason to buy an Apple.

22. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Sony Z series --> Carbon fiber
    Dell Precision M --> Magnesim
    Thinkpads --------> ABS with titanium under it, liquid drain etc.
    HP Elitebook------->Magnesium/aluminium body.

They all can take a fall or two without a problem. Have really tough hinges and great keyboards without the slightest flex or noise.

Construction wise the unibody is not as durable as something made of leafs of alloys since aluminum is a very soft metal. It does dissipate heat better though. It has no kind of protection against liquids and the glass in front of the screen simply shouldn't be there.

The mistake people do is compare apple's stuff with other manufacturers entry level laptops. Look at thinkpads, elitebooks, precision M's, old Portege's (toshiba has really gone downhill) and the Z series and they are all comparable or more expensive than macbooks.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

All Windows or Linux (as well as OS X) based laptops have a feature called "suspend on close". It will automatically suspend the state of the machine when you close the lid, and upon opening the lid again, resume the computer exactly as it was.

This feature has been around since the 90's.

24. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Yes but it logs out of your user account and many components of the machine are still working. The equivalent of os x sleep is hibernate which takes a while.

You are right about linux. But almost no laptop ships with it, compatibility is not guaranteed and many people are intimidated by the idea of installing it (unfortunately).

25. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Pure FUD - my Windows 7 machine (1.66GHz C2D) goes to sleep within a few seconds after closing the lid and wakes up within about 1second - which is pretty much as long as it takes me to open the lid. Login screen or direct resume to desktop can be configured as desired.

Battery consumption in sleep mode is about 0.5-1%/hr for me.