MBP 1440x900 with a 1680x1050

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthiessen, Apr 7, 2010.

1. matthiessen macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just got a new monitor, the Samsung t200hd, connected it with dvi and the adapter for minidisplay port, and yet, the monitor will not run at the optimum resolution (1680x1050). My monitors screen goes black whenever I turn the resolution up to 1680. I'm tacking it up that my monitors resolution is not compatible with my computer screens' resolution... Any more experienced people know?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you have deselected "Mirror Displays"?

Can you provide more information?

For instance what MacBook Pro x,y you have and what Mac OS X it does use, and if the monitor works with another computer or if you are able to use the MBP to send video to another monitor.

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I have that exact monitor, works fine with my macbook in extended desktop and clamshell mode. I agree, sounds like you have it in mirroring mode. I think you go to system prefs then displays to fix it

4. matthiessen thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a summer 2009 macbook pro with 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4Gb DDR3 ram, 9600M GT graphics... more than enough to run this monitor. When I turn off mirroring and shut the computer, the monitor goes black and onto standby mode.

5. matthiessen thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Also, when I turn off mirroring the default desktop screen shows, but it has horizontal tearing.

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Strange issue. I'm betting it's a software issue that will eventually be resolved.

7. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

...umm-- if you are plugging in the monitor with the laptop open, and then closing the laptop, of course it is going to sleep. Plug the monitor in, with the laptop open or close. Close the laptop if it isn't already, and then press a key on your external keyboard or mouse your external mouse to wake the system back up.

If you are having an issue with this method-- then I can't help you! It just sounds like you are forgetting the last step I mention (waking the computer after you close it). Though w/ the horizontal tearing you mentioned-- there could be something else wrong I suppose.

8. 22Hertz macrumors regular

Double check the video cable is inserted square at both ends for the horizontal tear issue.
    You might need to unplug-replug the video cable...electronics can be finicky sometimes.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

You need to then wake it up with an external mouse or keyboard. If they are bluetooth go into bluetooth option panel and make sure you allow it to wake up the computer.