MBP 15/17 Display Qulaity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Mar 24, 2012.

1. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hello,

I would like to know what's the display quality of the 15/17 MBP?
    I'm asking it because when I was at the apple store and played for an hour on both these machines I felt like it were the best laptop screen I've ever seen - didn't cause eyestrain what so ever and it was just stunning.
    I would like to know if quality wise the 15 and the 17 MBP are the same(pixel wise of course not, but generally speaking). and what more technically can you say? for instance, I used the Sony E series 15 Inch and the the display feels much less quality than the MBP's display(also, it feels like the MBP 15 inch is bigger than the normal 15 Inch PC laptop out there, but that a whole another discussion).

BTW - I'm talking about the glossy display screen.

Thanks a lot.

2. stevey69 macrumors regular

15" mbp, highest resolution you can get is 1680x1050
    17" stock res is 1920x1200 , no upgrade.

the high res for 15" mbp is a 150$ upgrade. stock res for 15" mbp is 1440x900 which in my eyes is terrible res. hope it helps

3. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually quite like the low res - but I'm not talking about the res - I would like to know if the display itself is of high quality in laptop displays standards.

4. Arondel macrumors member

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a 17" glossy MBP...Superb display quality FWIW.

6. stevey69 macrumors regular

+1

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Get the 17in.
    The 1920x1200 resolution is astonishing.
    It will literally get you speech less ;)

8. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

Question about pixels

Hey,

Why do higher resolution cause the text and everything to be smaller?

Can't there be high res WHILE normal size text like on the standard resolution 15inch MBP?

To be honest, I prefer the 15Inch standard res because it far easier on my eyes, though it's not "retina". However, I don't understand why can't we enjoy both worlds - high res AND easy reading (is the term I want to use here DPI?)

9. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

To be honest what's the point in changing the res and making everything the same size? unless you're doubling the res anyway. I have a high res 15" and love how everythings smaller, feels like I'm working on my 21" monitor with what I can fit in the window

10. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it doesn't have to be the same size, it could be a little smaller but not very very small - I didn't see the high res 15 inch as it's not in the app store here, however I saw the 17inch and to my eyes the text it too small - although it looks absolutely stunning and higher quality of the standard res 15 Inch, BUT because the text is too small I would go with the 15 standard or get a 17 inch and lower the res which sucks because it's not as sharp as the native res.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Think about it.

The screen size doesn't change but the number of pixels increases. Therefore...