MBP 15 - 2.2 / 2.5 / 2.8 - Upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Six118, May 25, 2015.

  1. Six118 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    #1
    Hi all,

    So I'm about to buy a MBP 15 but I'm having trouble deciding whether a CPU upgrade is necessary.

    Whilst I can afford to get any of the options, I really don't want to spend the extra if I'm unlikely to ever see a performance benefit.

    What I will be using it for:
    • Web development (inc VM's).
    • Xcode.
    • General web / word processing etc.

    It easier for me to just go out and buy the base 2.2 than wait a couple of weeks for the 2.5 or 2.8 and whilst the upgrades are only £68 and £195 respectively I'm really not sure I will ever see a benefit.

    What do you think?
     
  2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

    MBHockey

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    You can look up the Geekbench benchmarks between the two here: https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

    I went with the 2.5 over the 2.8 GHz model because the benchmarks showed minimal gains, and I didn't think i would notice the difference in any real world usage.

    I think your money is better spent on putting it towards the 1 TB SSD or external storage if you need it.
     
  3. Six118 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    #3
    Thanks for the info and the link. On the basis that I have access to ample external storage would you recommend the 2.5 over the 2.2 or do you think I would never notice the difference?
     
  4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

    MBHockey

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    If you don't need the storage I think you can make a case for 2.5 GHz over 2.2 Ghz for $100.

    When upgrading the dGPU model from 2.5 to 2.8 it's $200, which seemed too much for the gains (for me).
     
  5. ayzee macrumors 6502a

    ayzee

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #5
    If you can afford, go for 2.8ghz. If your keeping your machine for the next 5 years, it will make more of a difference in the future
     
  6. hopefulhandle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2015
    Location:
    Northern California
  7. Six118 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    #7
    Take your point, may have to go for the 2.8 then.

    ----------

    Hi hopefulhandle, was there supposed to be a link in that?
     
  8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #8
    If you're going to do so, might as well as get the one with the M370X GPU.

    The 2.8GHz is only 15.6% faster than the 2.2GHz in multicore tasks.

    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/2238812?baseline=2332082

    Meanwhile, the 2.8GHz is only 6.7% faster than the 2.5GHz. So if I were you, I'd stick to the 2.5/16/512/M370X variant.

    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/2238812?baseline=1860012
     
  9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

    MBHockey

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    #9
  10. Six118 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    #10
    Thanks for this! So 2.5 without the dGPU is probably the way to go (I really will never use that). Thanks!
     
  11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #11
    Why buy the 2.5GHz without the dGPU when it's almost the same price as the 2.5GHz with dGPU (assuming that both configurations are 512GB)?

    Besides, having the dGPU can increase the resale value as well. No sense crippling yourself by getting the one without one.
     
  12. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2015
    #12
    This was my calculation as well.
     
  13. Six118 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    #13
    Hi,

    Sorry for the slow reply.

    The reason I didn't go with the dGPU option is that I am not upgrading the ssd. As a result the difference is about £300. This laptop will also never be resold so I'm not concerned wit the resale value.

    Thanks alot for your help.
     
  14. TechZeke macrumors 68020

    TechZeke

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Rialto, CA
    #14
    I'm on an Iris Pro-Only model, and I had a 650M cMBP before. I don't feel 'crippled' by the Iris Pro. It plays all the games I want to play nearly as well as the 650M, and runs AutoCAD for Mac flawlessly. All this performance without having to worry GPU switching is far from being crippled. Unless you need to run all the latest games or need 3D modeling the dGPU isn't really all that. The dGPU isn't magical to everyone, sorry.
     
  15. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2015
    #15
    I don't know if you missed it but the point was that the $1999 model with 2.5/512GB and the $2499 model with dGPU are $100 apart. In the face of that, it seems logical to prefer the one with the dGPU because even if you don't want to use it, you can always force the computer to use the iGPU.

    Choice is always better and having the option can't hurt so it's an obvious no-brainer to go with the $2499 model. This is especially true if you purchase with a student discount because it makes the difference $40.
     

Share This Page