MBP 15 2.2 crashed after I quit Trine..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shot2bits, Mar 10, 2011.

1. shot2bits macrumors member

Hi All, Macbook Pro 15 2.2 with the 1GB graphics card arrived earlier this week. I decided to buy Trine from the app store - all went well until I decided to quit the game. The game returned me to the desktop but I couldn't shut down the mac or select anything - the icon bar at the bottom of the screen had vanished. I could move the mouse pointer but not select anything.

Anyway, tried keyboard shortcuts to find a similar function to Windows CTRL+ALT+DELETE but nothing worked.

I had to hold the power button down.

Anybody know if there is a better option to sort the crash out rather than just the power button?

Thanks, Rob.

PS - the graphics card sounds like an aircraft taking off when it kicks in - v. loud!

2. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Lots of us are having similar issues and are waiting on a fix from apple. Search around the forums :)

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

This happens to me when I play Bioshock a lot. It's basically because both Trine and Bioshock are very resource intensive games, so once the game quits, it gives the resources/hardware back to the OS. It's fairly normal, and shouldn't last more than 10 seconds.

4. shot2bits thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I left the Mac 10 minutes with no change. Having been a Window's user for some time I'm a bit worried about using the power button to turn the machine off...

However, all the key shortcuts I tried similar to CTRL+ALT+DELETE didn't work.. By the way, is there a Mac equivalent to Task Manager? Used to spend quite a bit of time there on Windows ;) If there is, how do you launch it?

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

for this you have two resources. One is Terminal and the other, which is very similar to Task Manager is called Activity Monitor. when your computer isn't working, click on the spotlight and type terminal then hit enter. terminal should open even if your computer's frozen (although i've never had a Mac freeze on me. Type two commands in the terminal. The first is "killall Finder" and the second is "killall Dock". type them WiTHOUT the quotes, and your system should be running normally because this essentially restarts both your finder and dock, respectively.

6. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

I was having the same issue with Trine and L4D2. Switching to the beta version of steam fixed the issue.