MBP, 15" 2.2 or 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poke4christ, Jun 8, 2007.

1. poke4christ macrumors member

I'm looking at getting my first Mac and I'm looking at the MBPs. I'm leaning toward the 2.2, but I want to be sure before I buy. From what I can tell, the only difference between the two is the video card and the processor. I just don't know if it's worth the extra 500 bucks just for that.

As for my uses, I'm not a huge power user right now, but that could easily change. I don't anticipate doing much gaming, but I'm looking at buying a Digital SLR and I'd like to learn about PS. Also, I might get more into video editing in the future.

I'm the type of guy who doesn't buy all that often. I've been using my desktop for almost 3 years and I plan to continue using it for a while. So in other words, I want this product to last. Really the only thing that makes me nervous (push to get the high end 15") is the video card. 'Cause if I feel I need more later on I can't get it. I can only up the RAM. So what do you guys think?

Also, should I get the AppleCare? I really doubt I'll use the phone service, so that won't really matter, but is it worth it for the extra two years warranty? Wouldn't most problems crop up the first year anyway?

2. island macrumors 6502

island

If I were in your shoes and was going to keep the MacBook Pro for years to come, get the 2.4 version and consider it an investment. Don't worry about Applecare until next May and enjoy the new purchase!

However if your a tech junkie like me, get the lower end one since the resale value doesn't really favor the higher end laptops.

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

1. get the cheaper one

2. by the time you learn how to use the higher end apps and own your digital camera/video camera, it'll be 1-3 years later. better to spend less now and upgrade to a better computer sooner when you need it

3. the speed difference is negligible, 128VRAM more is important for others, but not for you at this time

4. don't spend more than you need to on equipment. better to have 1 mediocre video cam, slr, computer, screen, etc... than to have 2 really cool things that are top of the line and only do what the other mediocre things can, but slightly better

law of diminishing returns applies, but you're not going to get any returns if you don't have the money for the mediocre gear in the first place because you bought the absolute best of something for 2 to 3x as much to get a 10-50% increase in performance.

That said... don't buy cheap stuff. Quality is important.

hehe...:D

4. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

If you're purchasing your new MBP using a Visa (or other applicable credit card), be aware of the free 1-year warranty extension that you're likely eligible for, giving you 2 years of warranty coverage without having to pay for AppleCare. It's up to you to decide whether that extra 1 year of warranty and 2.75 years of phone support is worth $349 (retail).

5. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I'd say 2.4. Although the cpu difference is really negligible, the extra 128mb vram will make a significant difference in games and apps to come. And extra hdd space is usefull.
    Honestly it would be silly to get a dedicated card with 128 nowadays. My 2 year old dell laptop has a 256mb card.

6. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat but Mac Malls 150 dollar rebate made me go with the 2.4 256 mb is a must if you wanna keep the system for a long time. 128 in a few years will be nothing.

7. jellz macrumors regular

Yeah I was in the same situation too. A macbook would have have been plenty for me, but for $500 there were LED,dedicated GPU, faster processor, and more ram. So I went with the low-end mbp, and I'm pretty sure I won't be regretting it!

8. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Dude, I haven't seen any mention of this. Where is it on the site? I'm purchasing through the education program (also get a free Ipod :D). If that's the case, it might be sufficient without AppleCare. Oh, and I don't know if it's changed or if it's just different for Students, but the cost is $239, not $349.

Can you provide a link or promo code? I went through most of the ordering process and I never saw anything about this. If true, I want to make sure I don't miss it.

9. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Also, is there anyway to replace a videocard on the MBPs? As some of you said, the bump in processor would be negligable (10% at best), and it's hard to justify 500 just for the GPU. If it's only going to matter in hardcore gaming and Video Editing then screw it. I'll still have my desktop anyway.

This isn't an easy question, but can any of you determine what difference the different GPU will make? Anybody know of benchmarks anywhere?

10. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

you wont. a macbook would have definately served my needs. infact there is one sitting right next to my mbp (my girlfriends) and i never use it

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Wait, wait, wait...I don't want to!

Going up to the Apple store this morning to check out the new MBP. I'm
    trying to wait until fall for Leopard to come out. Still running Panther I'm
    so cheap.

If my 3.5 year old ibook 933 holds out I probably will. If it broke down
    I have no choice, right? These macs are tough. On every day for 6-9 hrs
    and been through one wreck where a car ran into me on my bike and slammed
    me to the asphalt. Ibook was in my backpack and was unscathed. It won't
    break!!!!! Also spilled pepsi on the keyboard once and except for a sticky
    Delete key, no problem.

Tired of my maxed out ram on this thing-was the first g4 and only has
    640 mb. Get the pinwheel too often.

12. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

The warranty extension is a feature of many (most?) credit cards, not an Apple promotion. Check with your bank - they should have the relevant information on their website. My bank offers extended warranty coverage on purchases made using any of their credit cards.

From my bank's site: "Increase your original Canadian or U.S. Manufacturers' Warranties up to one additional year, on most new items of personal property bought with the card, including major household appliances and electronics."

13. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Well, I caved. I just ordered my new Macbook Pro this weekend, and I paid the extra money to get the 2.4 version. The main reason for this of course is the video card. Anyway, I bought it using the ADC program and my order spent today tied up in confirmation delays. However, I believe it should be shipped tomorrow. Anybody had a macbook shipped to Texas (or Midwest location) that can tell me how long the free shipping takes to get in? I'm hoping that if it ships tomorrow it will be here by Saturday (or maybe even Friday).

14. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Just got the MBP in. I'm playing with it right now. So far I love it. I'm still getting used to it though. It will take a while to deduce all the little OS stuff. I've got it hooked up to my 24" dell screen right now. Does anybody know how to get it to automaticly just send to the external screen when it is plugged in? I want to be able to connect it and then close the screen and work on the 24".

Zach

15. nGoldenm macrumors newbie

Wow, I did not know this. I searched and found out that my card is included. If you have a Citi card, here is a link to the page that describes it. It is a VERY small section of the page. It says "Extended Warranty coverage may provide extension of up to one additional year on manufacturers' U.S. warranties of one year or less with most purchases on your card. View cards with this feature." Click on the link in that line on the site and it will show you all of their cards that include that service.

Also, here is an article on digg that describes it. Hope this helps some people as much as it did me.