Mbp 15" 2.2 Vs Mb 2.4 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moseslam, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Moseslam macrumors newbie

Hi all

I am upgrading from my current Macbook 13" Core duo 2 Ghz to a new laptop and seeking some 'pro' advice:

For my price range, I have 2 options:

1. A new (current) MB 2.4 Ghz
    2. A refurbished MBPro 2.2 Ghz 15"

Price is about the same and falls right in my bracket.

What is really to compare between the 2 models?

Here are some questions that come to mind:
    1. Is the speed difference noticeable? I use cs suite, imovie, primarily and now moving into 3d animation (but just dabbling)... speed wise, the render on iDVD is brutal and that is what I'd like to cut down on the most...
    2. Is the aluminum case a pro or a con. I use my macbook so much that the plastic top has broken off at the edges. An aluminum one would be nice for the durability... yet I read so much about heat issues. Is this really as bad as it sounds?? Is it that hard to put on my lap??
    3. Battery life. Is the difference in life that great?

My usage is primarily video editing, and graphics work. CS2, iMovie, etc. so the larger screen is nice. But if its going to cost me burning hands, slower speed, and shorter battery life, I'll go for the MB instead. If I hook up an external monitor, it will not be above 23".

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Moses

2. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

You're going to see an overall more responsive system in the MacBook Pro due to the dedicated graphics. 3D animation and probably iDVD rendering will be faster on the MacBook Pro. The processor on the MB is better, but not by much.

It doesn't really get that hot. It can be a little uncomfortable when playing World of Warcraft for an hour, but it doesn't burn like the Core Duo models did.

I'd say that the difference isn't that great. The MacBook has the benefit of a more efficient processor and smaller screen along with no graphics card, but the MacBook Pro has a larger battery and LED screen.

The MBP's battery life is more than adequate.

I've been using the 2.2GHz SR MBP for about a year now, and it's been a delight. I've used MacBooks before (bought one for my fiance) and it's really hard to like them after using the MBP for so long. The screen quality alone is a killer for me. The MacBook screens are absolute crap when compared to the MBP screens.

3. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

besides all the other facts:
    I would go for the MBP cause of the !5" display. You have much more space to display you work.

4. Dan 7.1 macrumors newbie

well basically the MacBook will run cooler and have a longer battery life thanks to its Penryn core, but the MBP will have better graphics performance due to its discrete graphics chip.

the case is a pure opinion, but i much prefer the feel of aluminum to plastic. i also GREATLY dislike the chicklet keycaps of the MacBook, and the glossy-only option for displays.

if it were my money, i would get the 2.2 MBP just because of the keyboard and display. personal comfort while using a machine takes priority over minor increases in battery life and performance imo.

5. billmister macrumors 6502

I own a MBP and even though i love my laptop i would not call the macbook screen crap. Everyone buys something according to there needs and likes. Companies put out different computers sometimes aiming for certain people. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way (like a college student who does nothing but word documents and wants a 17" MBP, or a person who want's to replace they desktop with a macbook air.

I got my macbook pro not to replace my iMac but due to the designe, power, storage, screen, and illuminated lights and the fact that i can travel around the world and still be connected to family members at the end of the day. That's to name the few. My fiance uses are different then mine. She purchased the 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, white macbook and i installed a 250 gig Hard drive, so now it has the same specs as the black. She previously owned a black book.

My point is, even though i love my macbook Pro, when every i get a change to use her macbook, i think it's an awsome computer and I rapidly adapt to her 13 inch screen. I feel it's not crap, simply smaller than 15 but still GREAT.

6. Moseslam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies...

so if I can summarize:

1. The heat issues with the older 2.2 MBP is NOT a serious issue
    2. The main pro for the mbp is the case, larger screen
    3. The only con is that it may not have as long of a battery life as the MB but that difference is minor
    4. There is an option for matte screen
    5. The speed difference - the MB will be faster than the MBP but marginally.

In this case, I can't see a reason not to go with the MBP.
    There doesn't seem to be a reason why I should choose the MB over the MBP. Are there?

I'll have to do digging on the forums, but there seems to be split feelings over the matte / gloss. I am not a gamer (former addict!) and want it for work. Is it a personal preference, or are there nuances to the different types for graphics work?

This will also serve as a replacement to my G5 but as I travel a lot, it would seem that the 15" screen is what I need... unless pushing up to the 17" is a wiser choice! (very bulky tho!)

Again, any feedback on the new mb vs old mbp would be appreciated! Planning on buying today or tomorrow!

Moses

7. Dan 7.1 macrumors newbie

personally i find glossy screens are only pleasing to some because they over-saturate colors, which gets annoying. they also have a glare problem.

there is also a lawsuit pending over the MacBook displays, apparently they are incapable of displaying millions of colors at once. they have a bank of millions of colors, but can only display 250,000 or something like that at any one given point. there is also a problem with them using dithering to halfway get around this.

this was a problem on the old CCFL MacBook Pro displays as well, and i can say from first-hand experience that there was discoloration present, but it appears to have been fixed with the recent upgrade to LED-backlit displays, which the 2.2 MBP sports.

8. FCDP macrumors regular

I made the same move, picking up a 2.2 MBP, and I did notice quite a bit of heat(Running Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and several other apps at once), but that was easily solved by installing fan control software to up the fan speed. Using smcFanControl, Heat problems are no longer an issue.

9. Moseslam thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All

Just to follow up on this thread, I ended up purchasing (at least ordering) a refurb 2.2 MBP with... <drum roll> a MATTE screen.

Yes, after sifting through the enormous amount of threads on the topic, I decided that the best decision is to go with my primary usage - and that is work. And for pros, matte is better.

Not to mention that every other (most rather) external LCD is matte and to have a gloss and matte together, just... would make design choices that extra trickier (hmm which one is right... the one on the gloss or the matte.. hmm) and all those extra seconds in late decision making will add up over my lifetime!

Love the gloss on my MB so I'm not knockin gloss at all!

Hardest thing for me was to resist picking up the deals offered on all the online buy and sell forums, fork out the extra few $$, for the security of knowing it's direct and legit from Apple.

Thanks for all the input!

Moses