MBP 15": 2.53 i5 SSD RAID 0 vs 2.66 i7 no SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miata, Jan 19, 2011.

1. miata macrumors 6502

I currently have a early 2008 15" C2D 2.4 MHz system. I recently upgraded to a OWC Pro 120 GB SSD, and now I am eligible for a company replacement.

- I do a lot of multi-tasking with too much MS Office Crappo, lots of Camino browser windows, too many email messages. Webex, etc at work. I love the fact that the SSD lets me search email much faster and open files, but I believe my old CPU has become the performance bottleneck.

- At home I do quite a bit of video editing with AVCHD files which requires lots of video encoding.

- I don't have any interest in gaming performance.

I'm trying to figure out which would be better for me:

- i5 2.53MHz, 8 GB RAM, RAID 0 with 2 x OWC 120 GB SSDs

- i7 2.66MHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 x OWC 120 GB SSD

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You won't really notice the difference between 1xSSD and 2xSSD. A single SSD can provide 285MB/s and most of your apps and other data are less than that 285MB. Besides, you can always add another SSD but the CPU cannot be upgraded.

Personally, I would go with the i7, though I would wait as new MBPs should be out soon with better CPUs

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I agree. I would wait if you can, as the update isn't too far away and heck, the SSD may even become standard, as it has (well flash mem to be exact) in the MBA. Also, the new Intel SSDs should bring the pricing of quality SSDs down, possibly a substantial amount.

If the update isn't what you find worthwhile, check out the 'refurbished' MBPs. Most of them are almost or completely new and some people claim they go through an even more rigorous testing before being sold. Then you get a nice CPU and have money for a SSD and an 8GB RAM upgrade :D

4. miata thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering the refurbed 2.66 i7. I may upgrade later with a DiskDoubler and additional SSD when the prices drop more.

Does anybody know if the weird RAID bug with the i7's described below have been fixed?

http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MacBookProCore_i7-SATA-Bizarre.html

This is exactly the model I purchased, so I hope this has been fixed.