MBP 15" 2010 needs graphics card replaced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RUGGLES99, Aug 2, 2015.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Apple can do it for $280. But I can't get a straight answer that they are not just replacing the mother board/graphics card with the same problem one that has caused so many problems. Have any of you had the car replaced by apple because of the kernel crashes etc and is the new card free of problems. I don't feel like shelling out the money and and having the same issues. Mine started after apple was doing replacement for free in the 2010s and 2011s. Should I go ahead and do it or not and just try to sell it.

2. snaky69, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

They replace the whole board. Everything's soldered onto it, just like 99.9% of all laptops built in the last 10 years or so.

Unless nVidia's done a rev 2 of that board with the problem fixed, it's just kicking the problem down the road. I do know the 8600GT had a revision done back then and mine's been working fine ever since.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's extremely unlikely that nVidia bothered to do a Rev 2 on a long-discontinued GPU. I would bet on it basically being the same logic board as before.

Most likely, Apple (and nVidia) are banking on the fact that it took 4-5 years for you to have an issue with your current logic board. So they bet it'll be another 4-5 years before you have problems again, at which point the expected lifespan of that laptop is long past, or perhaps other things will have failed... or you might upgrade for other reasons before those 5 years are up.

I had a 2010 15" MBP that I bought when it first came out, and it started up with the GPU kernel panic issue in 2013. It was just outside of Applecare, but they took pity on me and did the logic board swap for free. Pretty sure it was the same board.

I ended up using it for another year (no problems), and then sold it to Gazelle.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

IMHO dropping $280 in a 5 year old computer is not a wise decision.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You will get a logic board, not just a GPU, and its not a brand new logic board so its possible and probable the GPU will fail again in the future. I can't say if it will last you 5 years or 2 years.

What's your estimate on keeping the laptop, a 2010 model is getting long in the tooth, are you looking to upgrade in a year or less? I'd be wary of spending almost 300 on it.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'm going to quote you back at yourself.

"It's old and dated. **** happens."

Oh. The. Irony. ;)

There was a known problem with the GPU and switching hardware on the 2010. Unfortunately the free replacement programme finished about a year ago. There was a later revision logic board with a fix implemented.

Link to the page Apple have now pulled : https://web.archive.org/web/20141130090450/http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203554