mbp 15 2012 - 1600$ ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grassgreen, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

* 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
    * 16 GB RAM
    * 512 GB SSD harddisk
    * Nvidia GeForce GT 650M med 1 GB VRAM
    * Intel HD Graphics 4000 med 1 GB VRAM

good deal or no?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its over priced. I believe the going rate for the most part is around 1,000 give or take a hundred.

for a little bit more $$ you can actually buy a brand new MBP, albeit with less storage but still. That price is pretty high for what is a 3 year old computer.

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I just got a 2013 rMbp for 1000. It wasn't perfect but it was in great shape. I would look for a better deal if you can.

4. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

Seller won´t budge. The price is deemed fair and most other macbooks with same specs goes for that price, give or take hundred $.. (in my country at least)

How about 740$ for a macbook 13 - 2013 model.
    8gb ram, 750gb hdd and i5 processor

Is that a good deal?

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Sellers always think their stuff is worth more than it is. They'll quote things like 'oh, but it's the last upgradeable Mac' and talk it up, but I guarantee they'll be looking to buy a Retina MacBook Pro with the money they make from the sale (and with a student discount applied, they'd easily be able to buy a new model from the money they're selling that for).

MacBook Pro 13" isn't the 2013 model, it's worth remembering that the base MacBook Pro hasn't been updated since 2012. The deal is fairly competitive but again not great.

In all honesty if you're looking to sink $800 on a Mac, you might as well eek a little extra and go for a new Retina MacBook Pro, or a MacBook Air if you're on a budget. If you're a higher-education student as well, you'll get 15% off RRP, so that's worth considering. Failing that, refurb models on the Apple Store are really competitively priced and always of the highest quality (plus you can purchase AppleCare for them).

If you buy an out-of-warranty Mac, it's going to cost a good $300 if either the display or Logic Board breaks. Worth adding up the pros and cons and remembering just how expensive this could be. Personally I couldn't buy a Mac without the security of AppleCare, unless it's too cheap to resist, or it's an older model that I'm looking to teardown/run legacy software on.

6. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

You make good poinst for opting on fresh purchase from Apple.

But consider. Where I live, the macbook retina 13 with 16gb ram and a 256gb ssd- cost aprox 2000$ WITH the student discount.
    In my mind, the mbpr 15 with 16 gb and quad core cpu seems like a good deal compared with to that

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

It sounds like you are not in the US.
    Too bad because $1600 will get you the late 2013 15" with 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and GT750M 2GB card.

What country are you in?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If that's the going rate in your country then I suppose it is a good deal.

The cost of a brand new rMBP (base model) is 1999, he's charging 1,600 for a 3 year old computer but I'm basing this on the US prices and US market.