MBP 15' 2015 worth waiting? Or MBP 15' 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by veezq, Mar 14, 2015.

1. veezq macrumors newbie

Hello
    I want to buy macbook pro 15'. I am wondering if i should wait for update or just buy now. I can get it from local istore for about 2k dollars. As i can see on website, all prices has been updated and the same macbook costs 2400 dollars and there is no difference(i know it's not updated) ! In my local istore they are selling it with old prices(not from website). I think, that when new macbook pro 15' will arrive, it will costs maybe around 2800 dollars or something ?
    The question is, should i buy that macbook or just wait for an upgrade, and is it worth waiting and paying for about 600-800 dollars more.
    I am not from US and in my country prices are way higher than in US.

I need it for ios development :)

2. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

MBP 15' 2015 worth waiting? Or MBP 15' 2014

The price bump is due to the exchange rates shifting. It may stay the same next release, may not not. My wild guess is they will though because I don't think Apple will do two big price resets in a row. Seems like they absorb small adjustments for awhile, then do a big change all at once.

Not considering price, I think there's a decent chance the next 15 will be one of the earlier Skylake releases and worth waiting for.

That said, if you can get current model for 20% less than list, that sounds pretty attractive to me.

3. veezq thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye i can get 15' 2014 for like 2100 dollars. But thinking if it's good idea to buying an "old" one. Still considering 13'. I don't know if that i7 is worth it.
    As i said i will be using it for programming on ios.

4. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

If you need a 15, I'd wait. There's a good chance we'll see something new sometime in the summer.

5. Drakas macrumors newbie

Drakas

And what about to get the updated 13" mbp? It's should have similar perfomance with some new feature like touch force

6. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

If you need a 13" now, this is a better time since they just updated it.

7. Drakas macrumors newbie

Drakas

Yes, but if i need a 15"? It's a Joke buy the 15 version: it's outdated and price increased.
    Would be a nice idea get the 13" or I will notify the gap of performance?

8. veezq thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't care about gpu in 15' but 4 cores are the reason to consider :)
    I will be using it mainly for coding with external monitor at home, sometimes i will take it out like once a week.
    Is it big diff in performance between 15' and 13' ?
    If i would choose 13' i would take 16 gb and thinking of point in getting i7 if it's worth it(2 cores), but i read some answers on this forum that there is no point of it.

----------

I can buy 15' with an old price at my local store, but it's limited offer and yeah, it's outdated.

9. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Honestly, the late 2015 15" model will offer slightly better CPU, slightly better Intel GPU, and the big unknown - significantly better external GPU, or none. I'm sure Fore Touch trackpad will make appearance too. In all honestly, '13 and '14 did not change much, and based one the above, '14 to '15 won't change much either except for the discrete graphics, IF Apple includes one.

If Apple doesn't abandon true Pro market (15", discrete graphics), there will definitely be a reason to upgrade in 2016, but for the forseable future, the current 15" rMBP is plenty good, and there is no reason to wait for summer.

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you truly intend to use this as a "work" computer and do no care about bragging rights or natural appendage measurements - then getting the 2014 rMBP at the older prices make the most sense. It can handle any iOS development you want to do with ease.

11. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I just picked up the 15" 2014 for $1999 CDN which exchanged to USD is about $1570. I returned the 13" after one day to take advantage of this price at another store.

Certainly seem to be some great deals on the 15" around depending on where you are.

I'm completely thrilled with the 15, with the main point that the display seems slightly better both in size of course, but also in gamma and legibility.

12. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

The 2015 rMBP 15" will likely have the screaming fast SM951 flash storage like the 2015 rMBP 13" I just tested at 1500MB/s.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, make tool is much faster, if it can start 4 tasks instead of 2.

Do you really need a Broadwell rMBP with the 1.4 GByte/s SSD and 10 % CPU performance increase? If not then the 2014 Haswell 15" rMBP is more than adequate for iOS development.

My Early-2011 17" MBP / 2.2 GHz Quad Core / Sandy Bridge / 1 TB HDD / 16 GB RAM is still more than adequate for my work with Xcode/LLVM and many other tasks. The 2014 rMBP 15" / 8 GB RAM or more should have no problem with 2 open virtual machines, the iOS emulator, Safari/Chrome and make/gcc/Xcode/LLVM and many others tasks/running applications. The 2014 rMBP 15" is probably enough for the next 4 years.

14. veezq thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it will be overkill anyway.
    Just thinking if it's not bad to buy a model from a previous year when the model from current year is out- i know it's stupid but i see how apple stop supporting old hardware etc...

How do you like your macbook for programming :) ? You use external monitor?

But, i have a question - have you heard guys about that apple hardware after 3 years is slowing down (don't know how many % but diff is noticable) ? Is it true? It's called self destruction.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

People who say it's slowing down after 3 years and attribute it to self-destruction have no brains.

You can't expect to run newer and more resource intensive software on it without slowing down.

If you never upgrade the OS or update the software, or install any new software, then it won't slow down (unless thermal throttling occurs due to dust buildup in the logic board).

16. veezq thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean more about purposeful aging the product.
    Ofc i can't expect it :) I am asking for something different.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Planned obsolescence is a myth in hardware terms, but not a myth in software terms.