MBP 15 2016 how to drag folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by al404, Aug 5, 2017.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

I had the MacBook Pro 13 late 2014 and not sure if I set it that way of if it was default behavior
    but if I kept a file selected and drag it around in finder it would move

on this new macbook if I highlight a file and then I keep the finger press on the trackpad the icon get bigger, what I should suppose to do?

how can I select a folder and drag it?

2. kirqe macrumors newbie

check trackpad settings, there should be a checkbox for that

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I thought that might be the result of a force-touch setting, but your mid-2014 doesn't have a force-touch trackpad, it's too old. (There is not a Late-2014 MBPro, only Mid-2014)
    So, I suspect you might be touching your trackpad with more than one finger when you try to drag.

4. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

I noticed this as well. I think selecting file name helped. Was so annoying. I swore I was holding it.

5. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

maybe I did click the file with one thinger and the drag with the second one, I'm not sure... I did it without thinking

on this probably I should disable force feedback to avoid the preview on file icon

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Several releases of macOS back Apple moved the setting for drag/drop with a trackpad... Open System Preferences and go to the Accessibility tab... then navigate to Mouse & Trackpad options > Trackpad Options... there's a dialog setting there for setting how you want to do dragging.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 6.45.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 6.45.15 PM.png

If nothing else, you may want to compare the settings that you have chosen between the two computers.

7. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

I don't have the old Mac anymore and did not have the force touch

it works but I can't really understand the difference between the first 2 options
    3 tinger is clear

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Without drag lock, means that you have to continue to hold the trackpad "button" while dragging.
    Drag lock means that you don't have to hold button while dragging (just drag) (cursor is locked to the selected object until you release it (by clicking again)
    I don't like "Drag lock", as I often accidentally click on something, then move the cursor. Item will move when I may have not wanted that to happen. So, I leave that setting at "Without drag lock"

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I know I'm in the minority, but one of the first things I do is TURN OFF "spring loaded folders".
    I DON'T WANT folders "popping open" on me by surprise (or design).

If you have LOTS of "folder moving" to do, something like "Pathfinder" might be of use.
    It's "pay-for" software, but you can use it in demo mode for the first 30 days or so.