MBP 15 2018 external SATA drive not showing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MushroomMan, Dec 18, 2018.

1. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

I finally had a chance to rip the two drives out of my 'Radeon-gated' 2011 MBP, and went a bought a new SATA to USB-A cable with the hopes of easily transferring the data. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case.

1. I am using the Apple USB-C to HDMI/USB-A adapter/USB-C passthrough dongle, and then have the USB-A to SATA cable plugged into that.

2. Neither of my 2 drives (240GB SSD / 750GB HDD) show up on the desktop.

3. When I plugged the SATA cable into my old junky temporary Windows laptop it said something about 'a new device having something downloaded and be ready to use' but I don't know how to use Windows properly (so I am assuming I need to do something to make the drive appear in the My Computer window?)

- so I believe the Windows laptop recognised that a new USB interface had been connected, whereas MacOS doesn't seem too???

4. I've done some googling and there doesn't seem to be much I can do. Finder settings should show the drive on the desktop and in the sidebar - not happening, Disk Utilities is the same - nothing showing.

Am I missing something completely obvious here?

I know the USB-C dongle is ok, the SATA cable is brand new and 'appears' to connect to the Windows laptop (and has two little blue lights on it which suggest it's functioning).

Is there anything else I could try?

I suppose I may need to hunt for a USB-C to SATA cable...... but at the same time I am thinking that the problem could be operator error - so hoping you guys could help me out!

Cheers,

2. Fishrrman, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors Pentium

Fishrrman

Have you gone to "Finder-->Preferences-->General" and put a check into the box to show hard drives on the desktop?

(I'm NOT talking about "the sidebar" here)