Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsu3xyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
Hi. I want to buy new MBP 15 inch. But I'm not sure about specification which i should buy. Macbook will be using for next 6-7 years, for FCP, PS, and some code. So I don't know how many GB ram and which CPU i will be need.
So:
1. 16GB or 32GB ram?
2. i9 2.3 or i9 2.4?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It depends how what your budget is really. You seem to be looking at the higher-spec model as a base (the 2.3 i9 isn't available on the 'base' 15") - do you specifically need the 560x Radeon (or Vega) over the 555x?

Personally I'd start from the base model and upgrade specifically what you need, prioritising memory > (ssd | cpu) > gpu.

The SSD or CPU thing is hard to judge without knowing specifically what you intend to use it for or how you work. I work with a bunch of VMs a lot of the time, which take up a whack of space, but, I have basically all my work data on an external SSD (so I can jump between two machines pretty easily) so the extra internal space wouldn't help as much as two additional cores - your case may be the opposite. The additional cores may not help as much as doubling the SSD size.

Tsu3xyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
My budget is around 3300pounds. I will be using this MBP for video and graphic edit, make a website and learn python, java and I don't know what will be in the future.

I saw on YT tests beetwen GPU nad RAM's in FCP. So I thinking (but not sure on 100%) to take 32GB, i9 2.3 8-core and Vega Pro 20 and 512 SSD.

mragarg

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My budget is around 3300pounds. I will be using this MBP for video and graphic edit, make a website and learn python, java and I don't know what will be in the future.

I saw on YT tests beetwen GPU nad RAM's in FCP. So I thinking (but not sure on 100%) to take 32GB, i9 2.3 8-core and Vega Pro 20 and 512 SSD.

That spec should be fine. I will mention that looking at the 2.4 GHz CPU wouldn't be recommended. Many reviewers have stated that for the money and difference from the 2.3 GHz, it wouldn't be worth the upgrade. But the RAM and GPU would be worth it.

Reactions: Sunshower

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
That spec should be fine. I will mention that looking at the 2.4 GHz CPU wouldn't be recommended. Many reviewers have stated that for the money and difference from the 2.3 GHz, it wouldn't be worth the upgrade. But the RAM and GPU would be worth it.

Always this...

Reactions: Sunshower

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Okay. Thx.
exact same decision making for me...

You have to decide if you want to go the eGPU route or if you need maximum capacity all in one. If you have a workstation that you'll be docking too for most of your stuff, definitely 2.3, 32gb and 1tb ssd.... go with the base GPU and get the extra space...it'll be better than even the Vega 20 (since the onboard GPU can't be used for an external monitor as far as I know PCI). save up for a nice eGPU and monitor... it'll let you push pixels at a much better clip than whatever you can get stock.

However, if you are like me and are never at a workstation when doing the graphics work, I threw cash at the GPU...and less at the SSD. My clients have chain of custody requirements so they get their own X5s and I don't worry about legal stuffs... but that's my work situation!

I don't know calculation or price differences for overseas...

Reactions: Zerosopher

Tsu3xyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
exact same decision making for me...

You have to decide if you want to go the eGPU route or if you need maximum capacity all in one. If you have a workstation that you'll be docking too for most of your stuff, definitely 2.3, 32gb and 1tb ssd.... go with the base GPU and get the extra space...it'll be better than even the Vega 20 (since the onboard GPU can't be used for an external monitor as far as I know PCI). save up for a nice eGPU and monitor... it'll let you push pixels at a much better clip than whatever you can get stock.

However, if you are like me and are never at a workstation when doing the graphics work, I threw cash at the GPU...and less at the SSD. My clients have chain of custody requirements so they get their own X5s and I don't worry about legal stuffs... but that's my work situation!

I don't know calculation or price differences for overseas...

I don't think about eGPU because it too expensive for me right now, special when I not using this for my job (maybe sometimes). Now I just want learn using FCP, python, edit photos in PS, and something more. I using Predator gaming monitor with my PC, so at home I will be using also this monitor with MBP.
[doublepost=1563816557][/doublepost]Or maybe buy other, older? Like 2015.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi. I want to buy new MBP 15 inch. But I'm not sure about specification which i should buy. Macbook will be using for next 6-7 years, for FCP, PS, and some code. So I don't know how many GB ram and which CPU i will be need.
So:
1. 16GB or 32GB ram?
2. i9 2.3 or i9 2.4?

My advice is never attempt to future proof a computer. There are new computers coming out all the time. Better to get what meets your near term requirements and upgrade as new more powerful systems appear and your requirements change.

Tsu3xyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
My advice is never attempt to future proof a computer. There are new computers coming out all the time. Better to get what meets your near term requirements and upgrade as new more powerful systems appear and your requirements change.
But it's too expensive to change MBP every time when newone come.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1. 16GB or 32GB ram?
2. i9 2.3 or i9 2.4?

I'd probably opt for 16GB of ram, and the 2.3GHz, I don't think you'll really notice the .1 Ghz difference and as for ram, I don't think you'll need 32GB and 16GB is more then enough imo

Tsu3xyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
I'd probably opt for 16GB of ram, and the 2.3GHz, I don't think you'll really notice the .1 Ghz difference and as for ram, I don't think you'll need 32GB and 16GB is more then enough imo
Yeah. The 0.1 is usless. But the ram can be not enought in Final Cut Pro with 4k and effects.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
I don't think about eGPU because it too expensive for me right now, special when I not using this for my job (maybe sometimes). Now I just want learn using FCP, python, edit photos in PS, and something more. I using Predator gaming monitor with my PC, so at home I will be using also this monitor with MBP.
[doublepost=1563816557][/doublepost]Or maybe buy other, older? Like 2015.

I would avoid the 2015... if you can find a reliable refurb, you'll definitely notice a huge difference... good keyboard, not good for anything else...

I recommend buying more RAM, going with the base CPU.... now, because you are using FCP... you will hit a bottleneck with that standard GPU... it's just not as powerful.... maybe when Apple and NVIDIA make up, we'll get better stuff... or AMD's GPU will finally catch up to the RTX ... who knows.

Since my machine is my daily driver for both work and play and I use FCP pretty much daily, I went all in... 90% of my day is at desk with provided crappy monitors.... so I am reliant on the machine as a whole (they don't give people like me a nice 4k/5k monitor to actually do work... but gosh that executive who sits and watches YouTube while they are on your conference call... she definitely needed the latest HDR monitor from Apple)... [yes, I'm salty about it]

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
are you really need it until Sept/Oct...bec at your budget you can also buy the upcoming 16" that is 99% coming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.