MBP 15" 3,1 model: SSD Viable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by millerb7, Nov 25, 2010.

1. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

SSD's able to be used without jumping thru a ring of fire on these babies? Been reading some disheartening stuff :(

Looking at a GSkill or OCZ 128GB SSD to stick into my Macbook Pro 15" 3,1.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

SSD will work perfectly in that machine and is a big speed boost. Make sure you get a Sandforce based drive like the OCZ Vertex 2 or OWC drives. These perform the TRIM function in firmware.

3. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Your right on the first bit but wrong on the 2nd bit.

Trim is only for windows atm. But the drive works perfect in the OSX MBP i have one and its very quick

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No I am not wrong. I am not saying the firmware performs TRIM. I am saying the firmware does cleanup like TRIM does without having the OS support TRIM.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

I've got an SSD in my air and been using it for over a year now and haven't noticed any noticeable slow downs. Still much faster than any PC i've used with a hard drive. Definitely worth it imo even if OSX doesn't support TRIM. [​IMG]

6. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the responses. But has anyone had any luck with a non-unibody MBP?

Things I'm reading are saying the comp doesn't recognize the drive.

If I get one though you suggest the ocz over the gskill? Both have same read/write speeds.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like the Gskil uses the Sandforce controller, so I suppose price then becomes the factor.

8. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Yes you are wrong and your still wrong.

Trim is a command and it is supported by firmware which is unused by apple in OSX

Garbage collection is what your thinking of and that works under OSX and Windows. The drive cleans its self basically but its not trim

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think we are saying the same thing. TRIM is not supported yet by OS X and without the garbage cleanup and "wear leveling" of TRIM the SSD will slow down over time. Sandforce controllers are performing that function without TRIM.

10. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

Those are the two I'm looking at. The Gskill is $186.99 straight up, and the OCZ is $219 and then $189.99 after mail in rebate. Both seem to have same speeds etc.

My concern is I'm worried about updating the firmware etc. on the drives. Along with getting OSX to recognize the drive when I boot up for a clean install. I have been lingering around each forum respectively, and there seems to be issues with both.

I wasn't sure if anybody can CONFIRM that it will work. The forums seem to contradict I guess. So confusing haha.

I'm buying a 128GB SSD (up from 120GB 5400RPM HDD), 6GB ram (up from 2GB ram). Then I'm going to buy a 500GB 7200RPM WD HDD and optibay it (remove my optical drive and put it in it's place). I then am going to buy enclosures for my current 120GB HDD and make it a portable USB drive. I'm also buying an enclosure for my optical drive and make it a USB optical drive.

The end result will be 6GB ram, 500gb hdd, 128gb ssd (boot drive), and usb portable drive and usb optical drive.

ALL on my 2007 MBP 3,1. I figure I'll get another year or two out of it this way before I upgrade to new machines altogether.

Anyways, what do you all think? Also again, I'm hearing that OCZ doesn't have OSX supported firmware... is this true?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am not familiar with the issues on booting for a new install. I just copied everything over from my old drive using CCC.

I did see a thread in the OCZ forums about updates using a boot USB or CD.

Here is their FAQ on the issue.

I went with the OWC drive since they tout OS X compatibility and I have not read about any issues with them.

If you click thru the Bare Feats sponsor link it looks like OWC has a pretty good sale today.

12. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you link me to a OWC? I can't seem to find it on that page. I'd like to look into them, I have done zero research on them. I'm looking to buy today. Thanks!

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is the link you get when you click thru the Bare Feats link.

This review was what nudged me towards the OWC.

14. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks ;) They look promising. $235 for a 120GB SSD... the OCZ is $189.99 after mail in rebate for 120GB.

15. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Reading thru that review right now... so far looks promising. Looks to be one of the few that doesn't lose so much read/write speed as it's seasoned.