MBP 15.4, 2012, won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beachguy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I had the clamshell on my MBP replaced and it now will not charge. When I plug the connector in, it glows green for a moment and then slowly fades out. Thus, I realize the battery is not completing the circuit and there is no incoming power.

1. Would anything in the process of replacing the clamshell cause the tech to disconnect the battery? If so, perhaps he missed reconnecting?
    2. Any suggestions as to what to look at and check?

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

It's pretty standard to disconnect all power to a computer before working on it, for safety and to lower the risk of damaging the computer.

That said, I have seen that issue most often when there is an issue with the MagSafe port or logic board. I'd recommend trying an SMC reset first thing, and see if Apple Diagnostics brings anything up concerning your power adapter or other hardware. If the SMC reset doesn't fix it, or if AD comes back with something, I would take it back to where you had it repaired as soon as possible and have them check to see if anything wasn't connected properly.

3. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

My initial thought/hope/deepest desire is that is it merely a disconnected battery. Will check from your suggestions when I get home from work...

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

If the battery was disconnected, connecting the magsafe charger normally causes the Macbook to power itself on after approximately 30 without having to press any keys.