MBP 15" Anti-Glare Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seraphex, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Seraphex macrumors member

Hi Guys ...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 15" MBP with the 6750 card ...

Had a couple of questions about the display's.

What exactly is the anti-glare display I assume it stops glare but does it make a visual difference to the screen? Is it actualy worth paying the extra £40 for over the HD?

Cheers

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no glass over the display and the colours will not "pop" as they do with the glossy glass. And the AG display includes the HD option.

[​IMG]

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I really like the AG screen and opted for it. I went to an applestore and messed with an anti-glare hi-res model for over an hour, used iphoto, imovie, web browsing all that stuff, and I had no problems with it. It was very bright, colors looked good and I loved the high resolution. I was mostly annoyed on my 13" how it reflected everything so the AG was the best option for me.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I've been working on a 15" Latitude with an anti-glare screen for the last 4 years. Love it. It was my first laptop, and I don't plan on buying a laptop without the anti-glare screen. I'll be picking up the high-end 15" MBP with the anti-glare in a month or so. I feel it's a much more versatile machine. I don't worry about lighting conditions at all. I highly recommend the anti-glare HR screen. Different strokes for different folks though.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

For those of you that are debating between the anti-glare and glossy and are hearing the mantra that anti-glare screens don't pop, I suggest you go to an Apple Store and check out the new 2011 Macbook Pro's yourself.

I can't tell for certain if the technology has improved but the colors IMHO pops just as well as the glossy screens with the exception that you can actually see it instead of your own reflection. The difference is definitely not like the ones in the PC market and earlier versions of the matte screen.

6. un.titled macrumors regular

Matte vs. Glossy.

If you're indoors in normal lighting conditions, get the glossy (unless you absolutely need correct colors). If you're going to be sitting under bright lights or at the beach, get the matte.

7. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Using a MBP at the beach with sand/mist floating around the air? :eek:

8. un.titled macrumors regular

I date to be dramatic.

9. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Colors pop in a different way, depends on if your inside or outside. I like the look of both the glossy and the AG, the AG is more convenient when im on the road as using it on a plane, airport, outside etc, makes for a more pleasant experience. To satisfy my glossy craving, I have a 24" LCD.

10. Whitelightning macrumors regular

From my experience, in indoors, if you have any light source behind or next to you, there will be some kind of glare that is apparent. In a black background, you will definitely see yourself that is much more clear than a normal glossy display because of the glass.

When you game, some light reflections may get kinda bothersome... it wasnt really that big of a deal to me... but I felt that with the anti-glare whenever there was light, I can still see the entire screen with clarity.

To me, the glossy has a subtle popping effect, but the quality of display wise... both are very high, and there was not really a washed out effect.

Having decided to go with glassy glossy and switched to AG... even indoors (unless you work in very dim dark a lot) AG is a good choice.

11. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Thats a very nice shot, though that AG display reminds me of the 2010 model when I saw it at the apple store.

The 2011 AG is brighter than the 2010 and the color difference is minimal and less poppy. Glossy had a poppy feel to it, but it wasn't as apparent as the photo above.

12. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Thats a great shot. I wish there was a matte configuration for the 13 MBP

13. akasch macrumors regular

Wow that photo is a great example! I went for the anti-glare because I do homework outside in the sun all the time. It's nice actually being able to use the computer outside! Now iPads need to get anti-glare so I can use it at the beach...

14. zenio macrumors 6502

MacBook Pros with the glass covered glossy display were designed by Steve Jobs.

A world class narcissist, he loves the mirror like reflection they reveal. He can see himself perfectly.

If you need a mirror, buy a glossy MBP.

15. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I have a 2009 13" with glossy display and I just bought the 15" with the anti-glare. The glossy is prettier, but I can see better with the anti-glare. :)

16. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

+1. If there was a 1440x900 Anti-Glare 13" MBP I would already own it. Sucks that the 13" doesn't get an Anti-Glare option.

Hahah, indeed. I can't imagine the people that buy the 17" Glossy models. That's just a bigger MIRROR! ;)

17. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

I use the iPhone for that :p

18. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Also... you cant calibrate a glossy screen properly. Along with that, the colors on an anti-glare screen will appear more "true" than the glossy screens "nice" and contrasty look.
    You know you should care about this if you work with things that require accurate coloring like photo editing or similar.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

That's simply not true. I've calibrated several glossy displays. They will calibrate as well as a matte display.

There are pluses and minuses to both. As haters of glossy love to point out, it has reflections and at the right angle can be almost a mirror. What is never pointed out is that matte also has reflections but they are diffused and cause a milky white sheen on the display. Neither are immune to glare. They simply handle it differently.