MBP 15" as Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigCatX, Dec 24, 2009.

1. BigCatX macrumors newbie

Hi,

Looking at MBP 15", but undecided between two:

* 2.66 GHz with the 256 Mb 9600M GT
    * 2.83 GHz with the 512 Mb 9600M GT

I'm also interested to know if the MBP can be safely run with the lid CLOSED so it can be a desktop system hooked up to an external monitor, or whether this will make it prone to over-heating?

Hoes does the battery deal with being on charge 90% of the time? It will spend more time in the office than on the road, but I want a portable computer as I need the performance wjen I do leave the office.

With my PC notebook I used to remove the battery when not in use so it wasn't on charge all the time.

Best regards,
    BigCatX.

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

I use my 2.8ghz MBP in clamshell mode with external display with no problems.

i think the battery does pretty well even thought it stays charged. my previous 13 in macbook was used in the same way and the battery did not seem to suffer.

if you search there are probably many threads on the subject.

3. BigCatX thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great!

I'm still learning little bits and pieces regarding Li-Po batteries.

I was reading on the Apple site last night about how they count "battery cycles". Only when the equivalent of 1 battery capacities worth of power has been used from the battery do they count it as a cycle.

This is intriguing to say the least, as based upon that definition, it takes much longer to cycle a battery (based on thir definition of cycle) than I would have thought it might.

They used the iPod as an example - if you chrage to 100%, use 50% of the battery, re-charge to 100%, then use 50% (again) that is 1 cycle.

I have also read elsewhere that a Li-Ion (and I presume Li-Po too) degrade as a function of time, and not change cycles per se, although little is said of the capacity as a function of charge cycles in any information I have read about them.

I haven't used any notebook long enough to wear out a battery yet, but I haven't left one on permanent charge, either (does the Mac switch off the charger completely after a period of time, or just float-charge???).

Best regards,
    BigCatX.