MBP 15 as your only computer? Without external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xkmxkmxlmx, Aug 29, 2011.

1. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Just as the question asks, how many people use the MBP15 without an external as your only computer?

Do you find it is adequate? More than adequate? Issues? What do you generally use your computer for?

2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Perfectly adequate for graduate programming student. Hi-res though.

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I think it's definitely plausible. Of course, i use a 17" instead of a 15". Get high-res though.

4. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Why not? It's actually two computers in one. I have Windows 7 using Bootcamp so I can play games. With Mac OS X and Win7, I don't need much else.

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

While it is not my only computer... if I had to choose one it would be my MBP 15". It's perfect for my needs.

As another said, OS X for everyday. Windows 7 for gaming. I also need it for programming in Visual Studio.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I tried for awhile but couldn't take not having at least an external display. Eventually got an iMac and and sync up the files between the machine. The 15" is just too small to cut and paste or drag and drop between my documents.

Cheers,

7. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

What exactly do you use it for? What type of documents for instance.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Large Excel spreadsheets and Word Documents. It's the Spreadsheets that cause the most hassle. Too many columns. The iMac screens are much better for those and having the 2010 27" allows me to connect the MBP to the iMac and use it as the display.

Cheers,

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

I will replace my current setup (sig) with a 15 inch matte high-res MBP and I think and hope it will be sufficient for my needs. Sure, I will miss being able to keep multiple documets side-by-side, but as strange as this may sound, I do find that I am more productive when I work on the laptop as opposed to the desktop setup so I hope this shift means I will be more productive overall. i loved my 15 inch PB and I hope to repeat that love affair with my new MBP 15. I'm afraid the MBP 13 just didn't hit the sweet spot for me.

10. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I have an external monitor that I used pretty much all the time with my old 13" MBP.

every since getting my new 15, I'm using the monitor less and less.

The hi-res antiglare is definitely the way to go - LOVE IT!

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

im pretty sure 90% of everyone who buys a laptop uses te laptop the way it is.

12. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

gotta agree with random, i don't use an external monitor for my mbp. Only reason i would probably consider an external would be for gaming but i don't game at all on my mbp. I like it the way it is

13. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

Definitely a stand alone machine. Tons of power and the 15" is a great size that blurs the compromise between power and portability.

Although, this is coming from someone who used to have only a 2007 white MacBook with the GMA950 integrated graphics. I made it work, though, and now this new 15" High-Res/AG, 2.2 GHz MBP is an absolute treat as my only machine!

I'm not in a financial position to have both an iMac and a MBP (or MacBook Air for that matter), so I went with what I assumed would work well for me for the next 4-5 years. Really happy I went with the Radeon 6750...A world of difference versus the Intel HD3000 integrated. Even then, the integrated graphics are great for casual use and movie watching. Easily handles 1080p HD videos and multiple full screen apps. FaceTime HD (Intel HD3000 works like a charm for this too) is a nice touch, especially if your family is like mine in that they all have iPhone 4's or iPads.

The Radeon 6750M is a powerhouse for mobile gaming at the moment. No doubt it'll be eclipsed by both newer hardware and newer game technologies, but it will always provide a boost above the integrated graphics and the ability to handle complex graphical calculations. At the moment, I have a few Steam games that I've tried (Dead Island on pre-order, too!!) and it runs the games beautifully at native resolution and the highest graphics options. Windows 7...Well it's still Windows, but it's better than XP and runs games/apps full speed under BootCamp, so it's always nice to have that versatility.

"...Now the blueberry can't really stand on it's own...It has to have something with it like the kiwi. It's not a stan...stand-a....Stand-alone fruit."

14. andrewjthrelfo macrumors newbie

andrewjthrelfo

Agreed. I have a 24" Dell UltraSharp, but I prefer using my MacBook Pro's display. The hi-res antiglare screen is so pixel dense and beautiful. 1680 x 1050 on a 15" display is much nicer than 1920 x 1080 on 24 inches.

15. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I've used both the 15" and 17" MBP as a solo computer and these are my thoughts.

Both of them are fantastic machines, capable of handling pretty much anything you throw at them. That being said, whatever that X factor is that makes you forget you're using a laptop, the 17" has it and the 15" doesn't quite. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. But for whatever reason, I found the 17" to fit the bill very well and the 15" to be right on the edge of too cramped for prolonged power-user activity.

Of course this is all personal preference. Get the 17", IMHO.

16. Lock macrumors member

I’ve had no issues with it, although I do occasionally get a bit envious of my partner’s iMac - more for the ergonomics of it than the power or screen size.

17. swedefish macrumors 6502

The 17" is indeed a wonderful machine but for those of us who need something that is also portable, the MBP 17 isn't a viable option. In terms of weight, I'd argue that the MBP 15 borders on too heavy for everyday toting around, but it's definitely best choice out there if you consider portability and power. As someone who went from a 15 inch PB G4 to the 13 inch form factor (MBA 13 and then MBP 13), the 15 inch form factor can't be beat for those of us who need a truly portable desktop replacement.

18. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I use a MBP 13 without an external monitor for everything.

19. neenja macrumors 6502

using my mbp with an external when im home, sometimes ill grab it and bring it around the house with me or outside.

20. macgrl macrumors 65816

The 15 is a great computer to have as your only one. I have had one for 3 years now and it's great. I have just bought a MBA to travel with but still have love for my MBP

21. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

My 15" 2.3 i7 MBP is my only computer and I don't use an external monitor. I am a physician and use my MBP for research and it runs my electronic medical records at the clinic. I find it more than sufficient for my needs and I seldom think that I need a larger screen. The only time I think about a larger screen is when I'm in the Apple Store drooling over the iMacs.

22. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

This.

The only time I use an external display is when I'm hooked up to a 1080p HDTV(23", 37", 50", or 51") watching BluRay's, I never use an external display as a "monitor;" I'm full time college student and do some photo/video work(for profit, not fun).

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

only hooked up my MBP to my HDTV when streaming live video of The Masters this past year being it wasn't on TV until later in the day. other than that, use it as a laptop.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Used a 15" for 4+ years and cannot fault the screen size. Even for some FCP work it was good.

Next year though I'm going to get a TBD as I like the idea of an external monitor.

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's like anything else, all in what you are used to. While I have several Mac's my two primary MacBack Pro's are a 15" and 17". Each is high-res, anti-glare. They are both fantastic and I have absolutely no desire to use an external display with them. Even though I just bought a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display, it stays connected to my new Mac Pro.

I attribute one of the reasons I love my Apple laptops so much is that I have very acute vision and do not suffer any eye strain even after hours of work.

Perhaps when I get older I will not find them so easy on the eyes, but I will worry about that then. There's a lot to be said for a laptop. The ability to take it anywhere, even if just from room to room at home, is great.

In fact I have recently been traveling by Air internationally so I bought a 13" MBA and that is also a really terrific laptop.

So I might suggest that you make a pros and cons list of exactly what you are in need of, how it will work for you, and sort it out till you decide.