MBP 15" back cover screw stuck

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kublaiboy, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kublaiboy macrumors member

Guys,

I just got the 8GB memory kit from OWC today. Tried to remove the top edge screws(1 short, 3 long), but one of the long one is loose, but stuck. It's the top right corner one. It won't come out. I've turned that screw over 50 times, still won't pop out. I have the late 2008 and early 2009 MBP 15". Any way I can get that long screw out. This is really annoying. This is my first time tried to open the back cover.

Thanks.

Shaun

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

When you loosened it, did you feel it backing out?

3. kublaiboy thread starter macrumors member

The strange thing is it did not feel it's backing out when I turned the screw loose and it's been sitting at the same height all the time. So the only explanation is the threads are stripped. How's that possible??? I was only loosening it. The screws have lock tight on them, I noticed. This is really a bad news for my xmas. :mad:

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Anything is possible. What comes to mind, is it was cross threaded during assembly. Tiny screws lack the same amount of tactile feedback as larger ones, therefore it's not always easy to detect when backing out the screw.

I would suggest you spray a small amount of WD-40 on it. Thats a safe chemical around electronics so no worries about hurting anything. Once you've sprayed the screw, using your screwdriver turn it just one quarter turn, both left and right, to allow the liquid to penetrate and lube the threads.

The next thing to do is place the back edge of the computer on your work surface so the screw is in the horizontal position. Gently attempt to unscrew it with light pressure, not too much force on the screw driver. You only need to back it out until you can grab the head with pliers.

This is a method that worked for me on my first generation unibody MBP that had a cross threaded screw from the factory. Once removed the threads on the screw were fine. Thus it was the case that was damaged.

Nonetheless what I chose to do was clean out the female threads. Then using Red locktite (the thicker kind than Blue) I ran it down, let it sit upside down for 72 hrs before using it, and it was just fine after that.

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's these kinds of comments that make people dislike Apple users.

I bet if it was you're computer with the problem, you wouldn't be so quick with remarks like this.

7. VMMan, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

VMMan macrumors 6502a

My comment was a intended to be a joke.

I should quote your signature.

8. kublaiboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the WD40 trick. I got it out with WD40! Yes!

So now I tried to put it back in, but it's not catching the threads. I think the threads are stripped. There's another long screw which is also cross threaded, but I got it out. So now I have two of those long screws are not really holding onto the threads. I plan to just leave those two holes unthreaded since it doesn't really effect the use of the computer. I doubt there's any other way I can re-thread the holes.