MBP 15'' battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Sep 8, 2014.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Hey just purchased my MBP 15''.

Fully charged it, took it off charger and it says its approximately 5 hours left.

thats quite a long way off the 8? any reason for this?

I have open mail (which is updating), app store is updating + installing a few apps and i have ical doing nothing.

Is there any specific routine I should do to care for the battery?
    Thank you!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Battery time remaining is an estimate based on the current usage. It'll go up and down depending on what the computer is doing.

Additionally, Spotlight is probably still indexing. Once this is complete, your battery life will probably improve.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

I was going through the same thing today - As someone as mentioned, it's only the computer's estimate; my Mac ended up saying "1hr 30mins left" for 6 hours or so before it actually became real! :D

5. Cardsnk macrumors regular

One culprit can also be Dropbox, If you have Dropbox app installed, it can take up battery usage as it also refreshes/updates in the background. turn it off when not using it.