MBP 15" BluRay/ HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HolmanIsMac, Dec 7, 2009.

1. HolmanIsMac macrumors newbie

HolmanIsMac

Hey,
    This may sound silly but does anybody know if a Macbook Pro 15" supports Blu-Ray or HD(1080p)?
    I cant seem to find any information about it anywhere, hoping someone can shed some light onto it :)

Cheers!

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There are no Bluray drives that will fit in a MBP, however, I have an external Bluray USB drive and can play Bluray films in bootcamp under Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Also, any 1080p downloadable content will play on the OS X side (like the Apple Quicktime movie trailers).

Cheers,

3. HolmanIsMac thread starter macrumors newbie

HolmanIsMac

Oh that sounds rather handy, how much did u pay for the external blu ray drive?
    Possibley got a link?

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have a IDE USB drive Panasonic UJ-120 DB-ROM Combo drive. I paid $89 on Amazon through Power-Optical. They sold out on both Amazon & ebay. Looks like most are over $150 now. I guess I should have bought 2 while I had a chance.

I also bought this inexpensive Bluray Windows software. You have to update it before it will work but after that it's $20 well spent.

Also got this mini-displayport adapter and HDMI cable.

Cheers,

5. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

15" MacBook Pro Screen Resolution

The 15.4" MacBook Pro has a screen resolution of 1440x900. Thus, it is not capable of displaying the total resolution (1920x1080) of Blu-Ray or 1080p resolution downloadable movies. They will be downscaled to fit the 15" screen. That said, the 15" MBP has enough resolution to display 720p HD content (1280x720) just fine.
    The 17" MacBook Pro's screen has 1920x1200 pixels, so Blu-Ray movies will display at their full resolution. You will still have to run Windows for now, though.

6. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

The built-in display of the 15" MBP is only 1440x900, so no, you can't watch 1920x1080 HD in its native resolution (it will be downscaled to fit).

You CAN however attach your MBP to an external monitor or TV that has the full 1920x1080 resolution.

The Apple 24" Cinema Display can do 1920x1200 and there are many monitors that are much less expensive (see newegg.com) that can also do this resolution. Of course if you have an HD TV, you can use that too.

So in summary, YES you can use Blu-Ray and full HD resolution on your 15" MBP - but you'll need an external blu-ray drive and external monitor to do it.

7. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

VLC 2.0 Bluray Playback on Mac?

Panzer, have you any luck getting BluRays to play in VLC 2.0, which was released this week? I read that it supports BluRay decoding now, if only expiremental.