MBP 15" - buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dMgfOrrEal, Jun 24, 2014.

1. dMgfOrrEal macrumors member

Hi. I'm a noob to Mac. I bought 13" mid-tier one I found the screen to be too small.

So, I'm thinking of buying this late 2013 MBP 15" (refurbished):

2.3GHz CPU
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM 512GB Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

The 16GB of RAM would expand the lifespan of this notebook - I want this laptop to last for at least 4 years w/o major slow down.

I'm expecting to see a new lineup of MBP in September or Octorber. Does refurbished products' prices drop dramatically when new ones come out? If so, by how much?

I'm also curious if the Geforce GT 750M will be powerful enough to run games like Diablo III and upcoming Civilization in fall (both support Mac natively). I might use external 1080 FHD monitor for these since the native retina display's resolution seems too high for this discrete cpu to handle 3D games.

I know I know....Mac is not for gaming, but for light games like those....
    May I have some experts' kind advice please?

Thank you.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Good machine. Late 2013 rMBPs have the PCI-e SSDs. Definitely get AppleCare on it because it's seriously expensive if something goes wrong. Not sure about refurb prices when a new model is released, but if you can get education prices (are you a student or do you know one?) a brand-new Mac can often have more competitive prices than refurb models.

The GT750M is a decent mid-end GPU for a laptop. What you have to bear in mind is that graphics performance for OS X games will often depend on whether or not it's native, the quality of the port, and things like that. BootCamp may be your best option as you'll almost definitely get better gaming performance through Windows.

3. finchna macrumors regular

D3 runs fine on a 2011 MBP with discrete graphic chip

4. dMgfOrrEal thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for reply.

I can get a student discount if I want but I thought the refurbished one is much cheaper. Am I mistaken?

----------

Thank you for sharing your experience :)

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Where are you based, matey? If you're in the UK I've got some damn good news for you.

6. dMgfOrrEal thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I'm not in the UK. I'm in Canada :eek:

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Dang. UK get 15% off new Macs and free 3-year warranty if you're a Uni student. I imagine there's a similar sort of deal if you're in Canada, but as I'm not I can't say for sure.

8. dMgfOrrEal thread starter macrumors member

Nah....I can't seem to find such deal here in Canada. TY tho!