MBP 15" CD 2.0 : No Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RupertJ, Sep 28, 2008.

1. RupertJ macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My MBP doesn't seem to want to output video any more... Currently when it switches on, I get the chime, and then it just sits there with the screen black. I thought it was crashing on boot for a while, until I spotted the shared volumes appear in the Finder on my iMac.

I've tried the usual suspects like booting into target mode (still no video, otherwise fine), zapping the PRAM (no effect), trying to boot from a Leopard install DVD (still no video) and connecting an external display (no signal).

Ideally I'd like to SSH into the thing and see if it can see the video chip, but it's got SSH disabled - Does anyone know how to switch it on by altering a file with the MBP mounted in target mode?

Otherwise, anyone got anything to try? (I'm fearing it's a logic board replacement at the moment....)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you tried an external display? It could be a dead backlight.

3. RupertJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I did, yeah. Hooked it up to my TV on DVI, which usually works, but just got no signal this time. I also tried shining a torch through the apple in the lid, and there didn't seem to be anything on the screen.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

can you see anything when shining a light in from the front??

5. RupertJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, nothing at all. I just tried a much brighter light from the back too - there's definitely no picture.

6. RupertJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just tried booting the MBP into target mode to try and mess with the conf files and enable SSH, and the screen turned on! (Amazing, given how I didn't think I'd changed anything, and it had been dead for over a week).

It doesn't feel like this is fixed for good, but at least I get to enable SSH the easy way and use my laptop again for a bit ;)

Cheers for the help guys - if anyone's had the same issue and found a permanent fix, please shout.

7. RupertJ thread starter macrumors newbie

It's done it again.... I put the MBP to sleep last night, and on waking it this morning, when I opened the lid it instantly chimed (Oh-oh) and then went on to boot with nothing on the screen like before.

At least now I can SSH in ;) Running system_profiler gives:

Which looks pretty damn wrong to me. For starters it should be reporting an ATI chip! It either can't see the ATI chip and OSX just loads the Intel driver anyway, or it can see the ATI chip and doesn't recognise it....

8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what happens with the Santa Rosa based units when the GPU dies, showing the built-in GPU.

9. RupertJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, damn :mad:

(Although mine's not a Santa Rosa one. It's one of the original MBPs. Guess they could show the same fault though.)