MBP 15" / Dell 2405FPW Resolution Issues

JavaBeans01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
I have a MBP 15" and was wanting to hook up my Dell 2405FPW as an external monitor. I got the MDP to DVI adapter, made the connection and viola . . . nothing. The light on the monitor went from amber to green like it was recognized but the screen was still black. The MBP recognized the monitor so I decided to back off the resolution of the Dell and now it works only with a resolution of 800x600 although we all know this can do much better than that. On my Windows machine I was at 1920x1200.

Any ideas?

Ultimately, I want to run the 24" Dell as my primary when I am my desk with the MBP screen closed.

Thanks!
Java

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I have a MBP 15" and was wanting to hook up my Dell 2405FPW as an external monitor. I got the MDP to DVI adapter, made the connection and viola . . . nothing. The light on the monitor went from amber to green like it was recognized but the screen was still black. The MBP recognized the monitor so I decided to back off the resolution of the Dell and now it works only with a resolution of 800x600 although we all know this can do much better than that. On my Windows machine I was at 1920x1200.

Any ideas?

Ultimately, I want to run the 24" Dell as my primary when I am my desk with the MBP screen closed.

Thanks!
Java
using mirrored mode by chance? My 2408 works great with my 13" over mini display to display.

JavaBeans01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
It was the adapter. BTW, I did try turning mirroring on and off. Once I swapped out the adapter it all works great. But it does look like I am going to be ordering from monoprice . . . $8.50 compard to $29.95 ---> Easy Decision.

Thanks!