MBP 15" display and keyboard backlight fail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jens1038, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jens1038 macrumors newbie

5+ years old - 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo (circa 2006)

Backlight suddenly stopped working. When awakened or turned on, display will work for a few seconds, then goes out. I can see the display just barely (as if brightness turned all the way down). I can use external monitor. Also, keyboard backlight non-op. When I attempt to adjust, I get the circle w/ slash (like a no smoking symbol).

The sleeping eye on the front is also dark when computer is on (but works when the computer sleeps).... I think it's usually dimly lit when lid is open. Are all these things linked?

Any ideas?

also, searched posts and saw similar questions.... none resolved however.

2. jens1038 thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow up

Did PRAM/SMC resets for the umpteenth time. Keyboard backlight works.... still no display backlight.

3. CFoss macrumors 6502

Could be a backlight fail... or worse, a Logic Board fail. Not sure though.

Sorry, I realize that wasn't very helpful... I wish the best of luck to fixing the issue.

4. jens1038 thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved... for now

I only post this because so few people post the resolution to their problem.

Stupidly, when the keyboard backlight resumed working, I was still using the external monitor.... not realizing that the display goes dark when you're connected externally. When I unplugged, lo and behold, the display was on. I guess PRAM/SMC resets fixed it.