MBP 15" early 2011 with video issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mkflyfish, May 17, 2015.

1. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

i have mbp 15", early 2011 with all the video issues, but it says not eligible for the repair extension program.....

I'm a ways from a Genius Bar, but will be near one in a week or so, is that my best service option?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. mkflyfish thread starter macrumors member

mkflyfish

4. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Pretty sure ALL MacBooks with the ATI chips manufactured in 2011 are covered by the extension program

Attached Files:

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That page doesn't check for coverage under the extended repair programme. It just checks which model your machine is and whether it's covered under standard warranty or under AppleCare.
    The Video Issues page I linked to just refers to the Check your Coverage tool as a way of identifying your MacBook Pro model. You then have to compare the result with the list of covered models from the Video Issues page.

If your machine comes up as "MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)" using that page, then it's covered under the programme (as indeed all 2011 models with AMD GPUs are)

6. mkflyfish thread starter macrumors member

mkflyfish

Thanks everyone, I'll schedule the genius bar, and hope they will fix it under the program, and here I thought the coverage tool would actually tell me if it was under the repair extension, not have me cross-reference the model.

7. mkflyfish thread starter macrumors member

mkflyfish

Update: I took my MBP to Genius Bar, they ran diagnostics and it failed the video tests, they had the part in stock, which was a suprise to them, otherwise they would have sent to repair center.

Two days later I had my MBP back with a new Logic Board. So far, with very light use, everything is "like new".

Michael

8. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Glad it's all sorted! Even that extension check thing can be wrong for the record. Mine says it's not covered by the extension but a quick call to Apple got me a refund and they told me not to worry about taking it in if it fails again before the end of the extension and they'll take care of me.