MBP: 15" faster than 17" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fstfrwrd, Aug 3, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

i'm buying an MBP very soon and I'm curious ...

if i was to buy a 17" model, i'm gonna get the resolution upgrade as well.
    but since they will both have the same specs (top available), isn't the 15" going faster because it has a smaller screen/resolution to run?

if so, how significant is the difference?

thanks in advance

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Negligible

Are you planning to game?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's an update coming out very soon. Decide for yourself whether or not you wish to wait.

You would only have a marginal difference in "speed" if you were to compare the 15" with the 1920x1200 17". Even then, you have twice the vRAM on the GPU in the 17", so you would not notice anything. There is really no slowdown worth noting, but I commend you for thinking of something like this.

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

If you curious about speed, take a look at performance benchmarks from Macworld and Geekbench.

5. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

no, i won't be gaming.

and yes, i will be waiting for the update.

i guess i'll just have to visit an apple store tomorrow then and see which size i like best.

that way i can order the new MBP immediately from the website when the launch.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I love my 17"
    But yes, you should go and see them in person

Do it
    Do it now

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually the 17" is faster because the larger surface area allows for better cooling which means a faster GPU.

8. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I sort of don't think he's even talking about gaming performance.... I got the impression from the first post.... and from the post he just made.... that he thinks a larger screen will somehow slow down the whole system.

The answer is definitely not.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A faster GPU will not only benefit gaming, but also drive more pixels.

10. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

The 15" and 17" both use the same GPU. Both GPU's support dynamic voltage regulation meaning that they clock up or down as needed for whatever you're doing.

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol? Yeah, in applications that take advantage of a GPU... which are mainly games. When it comes to things like Aperture, we've all seen that it often comes down to drivers and optimization.... hence the 2600 XT performed better than the 8800 GT for some time, despite the 8800 GT having a much higher fill rate (those pixels you're talking about), memory bandwidth, shader power etc.

The only thing that ... I guess would be a direct affect would be the DAC.... and since no one's using CRTs anymore (except me).... that's not an issue either =x

The 17" does clock a bit higher on its GPU, but it's negligible, especially for non-graphics apps.