Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afrox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I'm going to USA next month, specifically to LA, California. I'm planning to buy a 15" 2.0 GHz 2011 mbp. On the Apple Store, the price showed is 1.799,00 $. After I make the "virtual buy" and enter the ZIP Code, the price raises to 1982.40 $ because of the Taxes. When buying on a AppleStore in person, is there any other extra charge they make?

Surfing on this forum, I found a thread about different prices on several retail stores: http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

1. Why this sites sell computers cheaper?
2. There's a MacMall store in Santa Monica, should I buy there? (I save 135.51$)
3. I read some complains about online ordering with MacMall, but shopping in person could be a different story?

Please if you have some advices, anecdotes or something i'll appreciate

Thanks!

-C-

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
Yes there's a MacMall in Santa Monica but you still have to pay California tax. Taxes are relatively high in CA and you also pay an $8 recycling fee. If you really want to save yourself from paying the tax then buy from Amazon and have it shipped.

If your stay is temporary then I'd just buy one at an Apple store because you'd save yourself some trouble if anything was wrong, a retailer might not be as lenient with returns. Also, the Apple store wouldn't charge a restocking fee if you happened to change your mind.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.