MBP 15 Hi Res a mistake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjp820, Apr 17, 2010.

1. tjp820 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I ordered the high end 15 inch MBP on the 13th and got the hi res screen without thinking if it would be worse for gaming than the standard res. The only upcoming game I plan on playing is The Old Republic(MMO) and was wondering if anyone ran any MMO tests on the hi res screen. I'm afraid of havng to turn down the res while playing if the 330 can't handle it and having the gameplay look like garbage because it's not in native res. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPod

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MMOs usually aren't that graphic intensive so you'll be fine. Just don't expect to be able to play it at highest settings with decent FPS

3. StEvEnGtR macrumors member

StEvEnGtR

I'm planning on playing MMO's via Bootcamp at 1920x1200.
    I'm fully confident I'll be able to at High settings.
    If I do, so will you at 1680x1050 :)

4. Benjones-KY macrumors member

Every recent game I've tested so far has played fine on native res (posting benchmarks tonight). That MMO looks like a PS2 game so it should work just fine.:p

5. gagaliya macrumors 6502

Some mmorpg are very graphic intensive, especially during a raid. What you said are very valid, but i think the pros outweigh the cons, and the resolution increase isnt that significant. It's one of the reason i would never get a 1080p display, the mpb graphic just cant handle it in games. For 15" you should be ok.

Waiting for the bioware starware mmorpg myself, although i have no intention to play it anywhere other than my desktop with a 24" screen ;)

6. vasuba macrumors member

The 330M wont be playing any MMO's at High settings at 1920x1200. WoW is lucky to be on medium settings at 1440x900

7. tjp820 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't plan on playing on high settings but I just wanted to know if the game would look horrible if I had to scale down the res. I went for the high res because I remember the last gen 15 MBPs looking a bit stretched so I pulled the trigger without thinking. I remember my Dell e1705 with a 256 mb geforce 7900 GT and 1gb of RAM running wow on at least med on a res equal or above 1680 so I'm hoping ToR will be fine with with the 330 and 4gb of RAM. Peace :cool:

Sent from my iPod