MBP 15" Hi-res AG display, how uniform is your backlight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by animan, Jun 5, 2010.

1. animan macrumors member

Just bought a 15" MBP with Hi-res AG display. Overall the display looks very good, don't see any bad pixels either. However, I have been noticing a slightly darker area near the top left of the screen. In general the top of the screen is less bright than the middle/bottom, the top left area being the worst.

This is not a major problem, however since the laptop is going to be used mainly for graphics work and I would like the screen to be as uniform as possible. Also paid additional $150 just for the display.

I was going to head down to the store to look at the display model, but in general how uniform is your display backlight, do you see any gradients or light/dark areas on the screen?

TIA

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Mines pretty much a perfect screen, brightness is even almost all the way around. The only part where my screen is imperfect, is the very bottom where about a third a centimeter of the screen is brighter because of the backlight. Not enough to bother me into replacing it, since I got the good panel, 9CB7, and there are no dead pixels at all.

3. animan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear that your happy with the screen.
    Mine is not that bad, but definitely noticeable on boot up with white screen and with Pixel Check. I wonder what Apple store policies are on issues like this. Also, I am not sure what type of panel I have, how do I check it?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Go into System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Color LCD -> Open Profile. Then Line 17 is where it tells you the model number. So far I think there are only two models, 9CBB and 9CB7, for the Antiglare 15"ers.

As for you getting a replacement, it won't hurt to ask. :D

5. Derekhk macrumors member

Go down to the Apple Store and point it out to them. I've just brought in my machine today for a second screen replacement.

6. animan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Well I seem to have a 9CB7 panel and it is good to know that Apple is being nice about these issues.

Actually my screen seems to have improved in the day or so of use ?? When I had got the machine and turned it on, it was the first thing I had noticed. Now it seems to have gotten considerably better, burn in? Guess I will wait a couple more days before taking it in.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Please do a little searching before posting threads like this one. I personally just made a thread about this same topic a few days ago and it's definitely better to consolidate pertinent information. You can find my thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925994

8. animan thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did a search your thread did not show up. I guess the right keywords needed to be used, but thanks for sharing.