MBP 15 hi res AG or 17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Jun 11, 2010.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I am trying to decide between the two. I mainly use it for desktop and occasional travel, vaca, etc.

I have a 3 1/2 year old 2.16 cd2 now and my heavy work is on photoshop, weddings etc.

I also use it with a 30" cinema so it will not be my photo editing monitor.

However the hi res 17 does seem to have a few more things going for and the price difference is not that much. On the other hand is the larger laptop that important.. duhh.

any ideas?

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

If you don't need to move it around often, why not!

3. theJamie macrumors member

I'd go with the 17". I have the 17" and never have been happier.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

If you're not going to use the 17" screen, I'd say get the 15" unless you do you photo work on the go. Then you'd probably want the larger screen.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since you're using it with an external monitor I say save your money and go for the 15". It's also more portable for when you're traveling.

6. amarcus macrumors 6502

I struggled with the same decision. I eventually decided to get a 15inch AG i7 and I couldn't be happier. What clenched it for me was the added portability - after all theres no point wasting that amazing battery life having it sit on your desk? Plus if you're ever missing that extra real estate you've still got your cinema display that can handle the heavy lifting. Or in my case one of the new dell monitors or if apple releases a new ACD... ;) Well, hopefully this helps!

Adam

7. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I went for the 17" It is not that much bigger than the 15 and it only cost me $50 more over the Hi REs 15 I7. I do use the machine a lot without my cinema so the wider hi res screen will give me room when I am trading, etc.

.. I think I got an awesome deal.17" I7, 4 gig, AG $2379 on ebay free shipping, -2% ebay bucks, -8% Bing cash back..

Now I have to ask what is the best way to get all my stuff on the new machine.

I would like to do a clean install but I think that will be a night mere.

I made a mistake when I made the boot camp windows partition by making it Fat 32.. Anyone know if I can make a new partition for windows on the new machine NFST and then copy my windows folder to it. I have it backed up using Winclone which works very well by the way.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS later on if you want.

9. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you do that?

If I create a new partition for boot camp I want to set it up for NTFS and then can I copy my backup to it that is fat32?

10. tim100 macrumors 65816

the 17 used to have the best specs. so you could get a 17 bigger screen, high res, anti glare, and faster processor. now you can get all of that in the 15. moreover you have to go to the apple store or online to get the 17 with i7.

so i guess i would say 15 i7 is the way to go.

also the 17 inch to me looks bigger with the antiglare than the glossy 17.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=829087&highlight=tim100