MBP 15", highend worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Surfing@Blacks, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

I am wondering if it is worth it to get the high end MBP. Difference in cost will be $326 dollars.

Either the base 15" MBP or high end MBP with 7200 HD. Both with High Res AG Screen

The software I will be using most is, photoshop (nothing to drastic) and final cut pro x :), will be editing surf vids, music vids, and pictorial vids shot in HD with my t2i.

If the proformance increases will be worth the higher end MBP. Please let me know your experience with both of these great machines.

Thanks

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Depends on what you do, I got the highest end 15" and love it, dont regret it at all.

3. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

In the post... I stated what I do, most the editing is just cutting clips and syncing to music, speeding up and slowing down speed, and a few color adjustments, nothing CGI.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Then it may not be toooooo beneficial, I would get the 2.0 or 2.2 and order a 3rd party SSD and 8GB ram then.

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have the high-end 15" w/ hr anti-glare but i have the 750gb hd and only 4gb. I love it for what I do - photoshop, dreamweaver, excel documents, web maintenance and work (google chrome, firefox, data x-fer etc).

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have the 15" High end w/ AG too but with 8GB ram and SSD. I use it for editing 25 megapixel raw images, webdev, and other random things. I havent seen any hiccups yet, I love it. Coming from a PC I couldnt be any happier.

7. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

Apple and there dam good pricing, the highend upgrade is ONLY 300 dollars, but I could get a lot of great things for my MBP if I get the low end with that 300 dollars.... ahhh decisions decisions

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The low end being 2.0 or 2.2? The low end also includes a downgraded video card, consider that as well. If you dont do much/any gaming or wont take advantage of the 2.2/2.3 then I would save the $300 and get 8GB ram kit and SSD, much more worth it than to do 2.2/2.3 and having 4GB ram and 5400 or 7200RPM HDD.

In the end, the 8GB ram with SSD will make a bigger difference then 200 or 300mhz with a 4GB ram and mechanical HDD.

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

In fairness to Apple, they didn't even add too much of a premium onto the 2.3GHz machine. The difference between the 2.2 and 2.3 machines in the UK is £200, but the difference between the price of the two processors when bought on their own is about £150 - so most of the price difference is going to Intel (I haven't checked the volume pricing, so don't know how that relates).

edit: found a link: http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=59136

Intel's suggested retail price for 2.2 is $378, for the 2.3 it's $568 - $190 difference. So a $110 premium to jump up to the fastest processor.

10. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

No gaming at all, I think im going with the base model and will upgrade to an aftermarket SSD.

Thanks

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Good choice, I highly recommend 8GB ram kit too.

12. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

Already have a 8 gig kit waiting for my new mbp =)

13. JR1993 macrumors regular

The SSD upgrade (128GB) on the high end 15 is quite cheap, only £80 extra. That is about £90 saving on an equivalent aftermarket SSD. RAM is way overpriced though.