MBP 15" - hold-off with purchase? higher-res possible soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by starlight162, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. starlight162 macrumors newbie

    Feb 21, 2009
    My 15" G4 Powerbook is starting to get a bit dated and with Snow Leopard ahead I'm planning to get a new MBP.

    I really would love to have a laptop that is still somewhat portable but has a higher screen resolution than my current Powerbook.

    Apple now discontinued the 1680-res for the 17" MBP and I'm wondering if with the next speed bump (probably around May given Apple's release history) there will be an option for a display with a higher screen resolution for the 15" MBP.

    Also, on that note: I believe that while the is 17" as an amazing piece of technology and the price is certainly fair, the 15", considering it lacks major features of the 17" such as the great display, the new battery technology is overpriced which is why I'm also hesitating to buy one.

    So yeah, I'd like to hear your opinion whether Apple will go with the time and offer a higher-res display as an option with the next MBP-update or whether you think that might not happen since it might cannibalize sales of the 17" model?
  2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a


    Jun 30, 2008
    I don't think it would happen. The solution if you want an higher resolution is the 17'' or an external monitor.
  3. kolax macrumors G3

    Mar 20, 2007
    The 1440x900 resolution is still pretty good, but higher would be better. This is a Pro laptop after all.

    Though I'd love 1440x900 in a 13" screen ;)
  4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Jul 20, 2008
    That's what I'm thinking too.

    Don't think there will be cannibalization, since the 17" MBP has always had a resolution one step above the 15" (except for recently). That being said Apple could be trying to differentiate the 15" MBP and 17" MBP even further.

    Or, Apple is gradually shifting from the existing dpi (13" 1280x800, 15" 1440x900, and 17" 1680x1050) to a higher dpi (13" 1440x900, 15" 1680x1050, and 17" 1920x1200) and right now they are 1/3 of the way there.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

    I'm waiting for the same upgrade!! I've said it or a long time, but I can get the 1650 x 1080 res even from a 13" laptop from another brand, so asking for a higher res 15" MBP isn't unreasonable. However, what I'm afraid of is that Apple, which is more about the profit these days than they were a long time ago (when nobody wanted a Mac), would probably only offer it as an option, and furthermore, would only offer it on the high end 15" MBP. I want a higher res screen, but I don't think I'd pay an extra $500 plus high res option (another $200, perhaps?). I'm afraid it won't be availabe on the base model for another 2 generations.
  6. starlight162 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 21, 2009
    I think I will definitely wait for the next update. If Apple won't give us a higher-res screen then I might just as well buy a white MB with 4GB RAM as a temporary replacement and sell it once I feel that my money is well spent on a MBP.

    One reason why Apple might not have given us the option of a 1680-display for the 15" could simply be availability of such a display - maybe there is no good 15" LED panel available yet at this resolution? Does anybody know? Which panels is Apple using for the current 15" and 17"???
  7. MattZani macrumors 68030


    Apr 20, 2008
    I Hope in the next year or so they do bump the Res upto 1680x1050 in the 15", im a Pixel Whore.
  8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Mar 9, 2008
    Before for the 17" mbp when they had it as a update option it cost $100.
  9. EB66 macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2008
    if the upgrade was only $100 i don't think anybody would turn that offer down
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    ^^^True, but there was only one 17" model, and it was already the most expensive. I'm concerned that the base 15" MBP won't get it as standard, or even get it as an option, so anyone who wants the base MBP would have to pay around $500-600. It wouldn't just be $100 unless you had already planned on getting the top-end 15" MBP.

    Anyway, it's not even a reality yet, so there's no point in me worrying about a future purchase. I'm kind of happy waiting for a rev B model, so I guess I don't mind waiting.
  11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

    Jimmy James

    Oct 26, 2008
  12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

    Mar 4, 2007
    When Apple upped the resolution on the PowerBooks the upgraded screen was standard. But they did not up the 12 inch PB or ether iBook.
  13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Feb 17, 2008
    If they upped the 17" to 1920 x 1200 but left the 15" at 1440 x 900, that leads me to believe that there is not a 15" LED 1650 x 1050 screen available at the moment.

    Once they've done that they need to bump the Air up to 1440 x 900.

Share This Page