MBP 15 HR-AG Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcompiled, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dcompiled macrumors newbie

I recently bought the MBP 15 inch high res antiglare screen. It had a dead pixel on day one. I contacted apple and they offered me a replacement. When the replacement came it also had a dead pixel. Are there others finding quality issueswith the high res MacBook Pro LCDs?

Not sure if I will return this for a refund or ask for another replacement. This is getting to be quite a time sink.

:confused:

2. sunnyj macrumors 6502

its probably just bad luck. i have a 2011 17" hi res AGS with no issues.

3. glire macrumors newbie

My first 15" HR AG screen had a strange lighter colored spot on it that I didn't notice until around day 20 or so. Sent it in for repair and my new screen was flawless.

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Just unlucky. I've used 4 Apple screens now (2x 2009 15" MBP, 1x 2011 13" MBP and 1x 2011 15" MBP AG) and none of them had any pixel defects (although I had problems with dust under the glass on the 2009 MBP).

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Mine has none. I wouldn't accept it if it did on such an expensive hardware.

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It was another reason I bought mine in store. I knew I could keep rejecting them until I got a perfect display, courtesy of the 14 day return policy. Much easier to do that there and then than to wait 3 days for delivery and then have to send it back.

7. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Send it back.

+1 to Apple for being better than Dell. My 17" has one glaringly green stuck pixel. Their response "deal with it.'

Needless to say I'm trying to sell this thing ASAP.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I believe that it's not so much a particular component like the LCD in your case, but rather an overall reduction in the quality of parts that Apple buys and uses in their products. Since Apple specs the parts they have made for them, it seems that perhaps they aren't willing to pay for the same high quality they used to.

Each year I get a new Mac Laptop. Virtually every new PowerBook I bought (over 8) was excellent right out of the box, with no defects, they just worked. That's why Apple could use that slogan. In the ensuing years since the advent of the MacBook Pro, I've had a least one defective computer. This year was especially horrendous... I got three defective machines in a row. Being BTO models, that meant I had to wait until Apple received my return, issued a refund, then start the process all over again. It was months and months before I finally got what I paid for. A sad commentary as to the state of Apple's quality control.

Now that Apple has shipped me one that functions like a new computer, it's great. And yet should one have to go through this? I think not. Especially since they cost nearly $1,000 more than the comparably configured top of the line PC laptop. Working in a cross platform environment, I know, as I use both.

At the end of the day, it seems that Apple products are in a bit of transition. Only time will tell just where on it's list of priorities, Apple places quality.

Cheers :)

9. dcompiled thread starter macrumors newbie

false positive

Turns out the second laptop's pixel wasn't quite as stuck as the original. Gently pushing on the affected area seemed to shift the flickering, it was odd to see and hard to describe. At any rate the 'dead' pixel on the newer monitor is no longer dead. I tried this same technique again on the original but it did not work. At least I'm not totally imagining things.