mbp 15'' i5, need help with my external Dell U3011 hookup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billybeartku, Mar 13, 2011.

1. billybeartku macrumors newbie

hi guys, im a noob here and im sure this question has been asked few times but I tried the search and nothing helpful came out.

So I got this mbp 15'' i5 last year and am trying to hook it up to my U3011 (from Dell) monitor. I can't seem to find the best way to do it. some ppl say get mini dp to dp and some say mini dp to dual ink dvi ....

I googled "mini dp to dp" and the only thing i could find is mini dp to dp "adapter" which means i'll have to get another dp cable to hook it up. Is there any mini dp to dp so i can just directly connect between the two?

is mini dp to dp > mini dp to dual link dvi? or the other way around?

I need my u3011 to run at the max res. 2560*1600 obv.

Thanks guys.

2. TitanApe macrumors member

I have the u3011 as well. The best cable to use is the mini display port to display port cable. It will allow you to view the desktop at full resolution and you can output sound with it as well.

I plug my 2.1 speaker system into the u3011, which allows me to output the sound of the connected Mac or my xbox.

I noticed you said some people recommend the dual divi connectors. Those are only used when the person does not have the option of connecting via mini display port to display port.

Edit: This is the cable I'm using. Works perfectly.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

3. billybeartku thread starter macrumors newbie

omg tysm. this is what I've been looking for!