MBP 15" i5 vs i7! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xPAULx, Aug 26, 2010.

1. xPAULx macrumors member

xPAULx

Hey guys!
    Im looking to buy a MBP 15" but im not sure what version to get the i5 or the i7?

I Do a degree in multimedia so I will be using it for pretty hardware intensive tasks Eg Maya, Logic, After effects etc.
    I currently have a 24" iMac which I have had for 2 years and still going strong!

I will be upgrading the laptop to 8GB of RAM , 7200RPM 500GB hardrive and hi res antiglare screen.

I can get student discount on it but is the price difference between the to laptops worth it?

Please help!
    Thanks!

2. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

I'd certainly say the other upgrades you've chosen are more important. When it comes to upgrading though, I always say fork out the extra money now so the computer has a better life-span (longer before it needs replacing because of age).
    For your kind of work, you will use the extra clock speed, mostly when rendering. I'd say do it.

3. xPAULx thread starter macrumors member

xPAULx

Thanks for the help mate!

Also would upgrading to an SSD we worth while?
    Im just not sure paying the high price:confused:

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

With Maya, power is very important. I am not versed into recommending the most powerful processors but in your case I think it's valuable. If you don't use Maya that much I think the i5 will be fine.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i5 for sure, you cant stick 3 memory sticks in your MBP so tripple channel memory is useless here, the only thing you get is an extra 130mhz on each core.

friend of mine has it, i have the 17" i7, we did cinebench tests and they performed exactly the same; 15.93

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

i7 will add en extra 256 MB of VRAM to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M for 512MB total.

If you are using it for mulitmedia, i7 is the way to go.

7. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Yes 256mb of video ram is PANTS

Go i7 all the way baby.

i did.

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Add another vote for the i7. More juice to run your media apps. I may be prejudiced since I just received my new i7 this past Monday, but I got it for those very same reasons.

9. Aloush macrumors member

Defiantly go with the i7 it just makes more sense.
    Your a multimedia student so will probably need the extra power, and if your planning on running a few of those programs at the same time the 8GB ram would also make alot of sense.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

As others have already commented, with your apps, you may really want to consider getting an i7-based CPU. Also, an SSD is really a fantastic upgrade.

11. thecarrot macrumors member

I'd say probably go with the i7 just based off the fact that it is a faster processor

12. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Absolutely go for the Macbook Pro i7 (15 Inch). A 512MB Graphics Card is becoming the standard minimum for quality performance, and the i7 does grant you some significant processing power, as compared to the i5. In the end, you'll be happy you spent extra cash for a computer that will last you a year longer, before you'll have to upgrade.