MBP 15 i7 2.66 - Gaming - Really Bummed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatusername, Apr 30, 2010.

1. whatusername macrumors newbie

Before I get the reply of..."mac is not a gaming machine"....let me say..I know.

BUT - you would think that the top of line MBP Pro via Bootcamp could at least play current games at a decent level of quality. I just tested Battlefield Bad Co 2 and I can't even play it at 1280x800 using low quality, 1x alias, etc with a consistent frame rate. Its actually quite frustrating.

Anybody having any better luck with other games.

My 3 year old PC with an old graphics card smokes this and that is sad. What is even more sad is I've now gone all mac, assuming I could at least play games at a basic level on a brand new mac.

Bummed.

2. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Hmm.

I've seen some preliminary gaming videos on the new mac with moderate to high settings running very well. I'm not sure what's up with your mac. Mine has not shipped yet so I can't say from experience what the problem is. Hope you can figure it out.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Uh yeah, that's definitely not right.

Someone did a test of WoW (yeah, not a demanding game I know) but settings at the maximum at 1920x1200 and it was kicking out like 28 fps or something. And about 24 for 2560x1600.

4. whatusername thread starter macrumors newbie

I have WOW under OSX and it runs well, but Batt Bad 2 not doing well under Bootcamp. I question the drivers, but im not able to upgrade to current drivers via nvidia site.

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I wrote a guide on how to modify your own inf so you can install a driver from nvidia.com

6. Chromide macrumors newbie

and this is why I will never game hardcore on a laptop.... I am 100% fine with WC3, SC, and some emulators for on the go. When I wanna game I'll play on the PC I built last year.

I guess if I had sprung for the i7 model I would expect more as well but I got the 13 and couldn't be happier(my first mac :D)

7. whatusername thread starter macrumors newbie

I love the MBP, very happy with the purchase, its my main system now. Coming from PC desktop, my setup is much cleaner now and more productive.

That said, after this, might have to consider putting my screaming gaming PC back in action or just game via XBox/PS3.

8. whatusername thread starter macrumors newbie

kny3twalker

did upgrading the drivers provide you with any better bootcamp gaming results

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I have a 2009 MBP 13", so I did not write the guide for gaming. I did it because the bootcamp 3.0 video driver would make the LCD's backlight hum. Very Annoying!

After Apple released the 3.1 drivers, I have not updated them.

But in general for gaming, the newest drivers are the best to use.

10. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Bah these threads worry me.

Macrumors has ruined me.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

ok?

12. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Oops didnt mean to quote you. Sorry.

13. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Turn HABO off and use dx9 instead of dx10. That should help boost the fps.

14. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

The 330M is trash. Bad Company 2 is an incredibly demanding game, and requires both a hefty GPU as well as a fast processor.
    Apple made a questionable decision by including that GPU, which is a pathetic excuse for a card even for midrange.

15. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Do you think it is better than the 9600?

16. seong macrumors 65816

seong

330m with 512 MB= Excellent. You are able to play any games for next two or five years. Not the "graphic-intensive" ones, but medium graphic-intensive games, such as SC2 and SC2 (Starcraft 2, Supreme Commander 2).
    Don't worry about it, it will work, even with 256 MB.

17. senor ding dong macrumors member

Actually from what I have read before, I think gaming on my i7 MBP is quite decent. I have played Mass Effect 2, which looked pretty cool and I also do have BFBC2 & Crysis, so I'll check those out as well.

The only thing that annoys me is the constant sound of the fans.