MBP 15" i7 bad multitasking performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sirkrimskull, May 26, 2010.

1. sirkrimskull macrumors newbie

hi,
    i recently bought a 2010 mbp and got the feeling that it performs relatively bad.
    i'm running chrome (blib.tv video loading, same problem with firefox), adium, things and the sc2 beta in the background.
    memory (4gb) is used up to half, fans running at 6000rpm, cpu idle 48% and its quiete laggy overall.
    i would understand the laggyness if the memory would be used completely and cpu would runnning at 100%, but thats not the case.
    it seems like the mbp is underperforming, is there an easy way to test the performance?
    i know the sc2 beta performance is quiete bad, but is this really slowing down the whole mb?
    thanks for your answers.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

interesting. i think the bottle neck may lie elsewhere though.

what hdd do you have? mechanical or SSD?

what is the Disk Activity usage in Activity Monitor?

it does seem a tad odd.

3. sirkrimskull thread starter macrumors newbie

not too high actually.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2141/39889122.png
    got to a peak of around 1 mb/sec though, picture didn't get it.

the mb's got the standart hd, 500 gb with 5400 rpm

i dont even have to log in at starcraft. just having it open really brings the pc down.. i run it in window mode while not playing if this is important.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its a 5400rpm, which most def would explain some of it. running SC would also impact on it a fair bit i feel. maybe try without SC running and see how you go?

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

My first 15" Core i7 was fast!

It was so good I gave it to a family member & bought another one. When it arrived I'm happy to report it was as good as the first, so I gave it to my wife. The third one arrived Monday & it too is fantastic.

My take on yours? Send it back, you probably have a defective one. Remember, these are mass produced & cannot all be trouble free.

6. sirkrimskull thread starter macrumors newbie

i would send it back if i had evidence that it really is underperforming.
    but right now it is my only pc and i kind of need it.
    are there any free tools to measure the performance?

7. Xombie11 macrumors regular

You're really not meant to run a high CPU-intensity game in windowed mode, or alongside anything else for that matter. Especially not one thy isn't optimized for OSX. That's why Windows systems often black screen when you minimize a game to desktop. I don't think this is a question of underperformance... Although your HD is most certianly acting as a bottleneck.

8. flat4 macrumors member

9. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah, i got a 7200rpm hd core i7 and it isn't laggy at all! thing runs like a beast! :D (glad i chose to go with the 7200rpm. i was almost positive of going with the 5400rpm, but changed my mind the moment i was purchasing it online) :apple:

10. sirkrimskull thread starter macrumors newbie

i ran xbench a couple of minutes ago..
    http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=448231&doc2=1&setCookie=true
    are you able to see the results in the link?
    are the numbers normal?
    thx a lot

edit:

11. Fasailmac macrumors member

that TV site, is it flash based, if so thats the culprit. Macs are terrible when it comes to handling embedded flash and multitasking.

12. sirkrimskull thread starter macrumors newbie

jap, blib.tv uses flash 10. at least in the videos i watched.
    might be the reason..

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I kind of have noticed the same thing. I feel as though my i7 isn't running as fast as it should. It's not SLOW, but it definitely feels laggy at times. And I am blaming it on the hard drive. 5400 RPM is abysmally slow by today's standards. Hell, even my 2 year old desktop has a crappy original WD 10k raptor, and that thing is still pretty fast.

14. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

By the looks of it I have the same specs so ran xbench to compare, this is what I got:
    http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=448241&doc2=1&setCookie=true

So pretty similar results to yourself, overall got 167.49 which is only slightly higher so not much in it and the only sluggishness I feel with mine is due to the HDD. Hope this helps.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it would seem so. but nothing is really pushing the hdd.

you shouldnt have gone with the 5400rpm one then :p remember that the i7 is *still* only a dual core machine.

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

If you're running Flash and Starcraft II beta at the same time that's pretty much a torture test. There's likely nothing wrong with your MBP.

17. sirkrimskull thread starter macrumors newbie

haha thx a lot!
    guess i'll have to cut back on my flash videos and wait for decent sc2 performance.