MBP 15 i7, High res matte - Red pixel distortion shadows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RuneFjellheim, May 9, 2010.

1. RuneFjellheim macrumors newbie

I've just received a brand new MBP 15 i7 with high res. matte screen. Occasionally the screen becomes sort of distorted by red pixelated shadows that seem to depend on the current wallpaper, and also to some extent stay in the background when white background windows are opened. I have posted a picture taken by camera on Flickr, since a screenshot will not capture it.

The funny thing is that I can make it disappear by closing the computer and reopen it again. I cannot force it to appear again though. Any thoughts? Is it a driver problem? It doesn't appear on the startup splash screen or on secondary monitors......

Here is the photo of the phenomenon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daiko/4587092748/

One more photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daiko/4587031208/

MBP 15 i7, High res. matte Mac OS X (10.6.3)

2. lightworker macrumors member

Come on man!
    Change this computer! You're in the 14-magical-days!
    NO DUBTS!

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Could be software related, what happens if you just open a new window over the distorted parts?
    If it does disappear I suspect a software problem.

4. RuneFjellheim thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems to be a certain colour that is swapped.

Well it doesn't help to open new windows over. The red pixels seems to be replacement of a certain dark colour pixel. That is why it doesn't show up in white, light spaces like documents and most web pages. If you look at the first link from flickr, you'll see what I mean.

And here is another example of a fullscreen photo, with the red pixels: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daiko/4591811306/

I'm about to send it back, but considering the time it takes to ship it from north of Norway and the slow postal service it will take at least two weeks to get a replacement....

Do you think a fresh reinstallment of the OS and software can fix it? (I could just try...)

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think you should call apple.
    Are there any apple resellers near you?
    Seems from your nick that your a fellow norwegian, so unless you live in one of the major cities, you pretty much have to send it to apple yourself.

I myself have just got a case nr from Apple when I've had a problem, then contacted my local apple reseller, and after that had all contacts regarding my issues with them instead of Apple.

6. chaconne macrumors newbie

I had similar problem on a iBook before. That was caused by a loose connection between the LCD screen and the video card. My 2nd case (similar to your 2nd picture) was the video chip was bad. I have to change out the motherboard (no separate video card) It will become worse over time. Eventually the issue will become permanent. Since your computer is new, sent back to fix it.

7. prism macrumors 6502a

Your GPU is basically fried so your best shot is to have your laptop replaced with a new one ASAP!